Thread: Disability and life insurance

Threaded View

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries

Disability and life insurance

What are you guys all doing for this and do you know if what you have has excluded racing?

Since I changed jobs and helped start a new company (of which I'm an employee) I had been without life insurance and any kind of short/long term disability. Also not sure if I can get on Leah's when we get married sometime next year.

Started shopping for private stuff and am finding that they will either exclude racing or decline to write me outright.

I was able to get a good life 30yr term insurance policy but they will exclude any claims if they happen on the race track for the first 2 years of the policy.

I also temporarily got a long term disability but they said they will not pay any claims if I'm injured on track, and from research it looks like they litigate 70% of their muscular/skeletal disability claims.
    I was declined flat out by Mass mutual because they are picky and didn't want to deal with someone that races.

I have found a racing only disability policy thru Lloyd's that will pay 35% of my income for 2 years, for a whopping $2700/year and that rewrites every 5 years so it will keep getting more expensive as I age.

I am also going to be offered a life insurance policy from another agent that covers me for the next two years for racing only until my main one stops excluding racing.

I put this out there as ot of you guys are much older than I and have families depending on you, and most of you probably have long term disability thru your employers like I used to. Do you know if your coverage will cover you if something happens in track? Anyone have luck getting something solid?

Right now as a 33yr old I'm looking at $6k+/year on all of these damn policies and I can't imagine it getting any better, and not confident the employer sponsored stuff will cover us on track
    Last edited by Pranav; 06-01-2019 at 11:46 AM.