Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hallett Recap - 2019

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Hey!

I was only slower on Sunday because I was stuck behind you for most of the race.

My fastest lap was my last lap of the championship race

Senior Member Rookie
    Josh and Michael, outstanding driving to the end. Josh the recap and sharing of info is to be commended. You have answered dozens of my newbie questions and never even looked at me funny. Thanks! And thanks for the brake pads. You kept me out there this weekend and I owe you.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
    Something to note: My 1st time to watch a race, and I was also pissed off at the AI car slowing other out of class cars down. Poor sportsmanship. Jander's contact with him should have spurred further warnings from higher up.

But in the end, the AI car didnt ruin the race. Great fun watching all the CMC group. I learned a ton this weekend watching you all, and getting some seat time in.
    We don't know he didn't ruin a race, maybe Jander had something for Sook? Based on raw pace, maybe not, but racing is more than just raw pace. The fact is out of class racing has ruined many races in the past, and while it is part of racing it's terrible sportsmanship and a terrible way to earn a reputation. Just look at the guy in Jander's video. As Josh said, not cool bro. Congrats to Josh though on an outstanding run, I made sure to let Bryan Curtis know of his nemisis' demise on the last lap as he's probably still a little bitter about last year.

Also Josh, how about a sweet highlight vid of the final?
    Last edited by Supercharged111; 06-12-2019 at 11:35 PM.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    So we can speculate on what we don't know or I can state facts that Josh was .848 quicker in the champ race with new tires than any other lap he ran on Saturday with no changes mentioned. (and Sook started Saturday with a set that had one heat cycle on them from Cota if I understood correctly?
    Josh made changes after qualifying and after the first race. Since he had a poor finish in the first race, he started pretty far up in the invert and was leading the race going into Turn 2. After that, there was no need to push hard and saving the tires for the third race that he would have started from last was the best plan. Also, you don't want to risk throwing the car off track pushing harder than needed. Well, other than the lap he messed up the entrance to the Bitch because he was distracted by an empty water bottle underneath his pedals. As a person who assembles safety critical flight hardware for astronauts in a FOD free lab, I'm wholly embarrassed to have missed that since I gave him the water in impound after the first race...

Anyway, if we didn't think there would be a delta in performance by going with a fresh set of tires we wouldn't have put them on. I don't think that number is a fair representation of the delta, though. If race three had been run in the dry, I think the delta between old and new would have been a little bit bigger. If the rain on Sunday morning had come without lightning, Josh would have been fine as we had rain tires ready to go. For those not keeping track, that's a set of practice tires, a set of lightly used tires, a set of stickers, and a set of rain tires brought to the track for one event. Having won my AI championship without ever owning more than one set of wheels, this seems completely nuts to me...

Richard P.
    Last edited by RichardP; 06-13-2019 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    Well, other than the lap he messed up the entrance to the Bitch because he was distracted by an empty water bottle underneath his pedals.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that already. It was under a different pedal in every turn. Also the passenger seat belts weren't bucked so the left shoulder belt kept hitting me. Amazing how little things like that can be so distracting.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Congrats to Josh and the #50 team for a fantastic win! What a great job to get it done, test, tune, adapt, find a way to find a way!!
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    Cody thinks that's clearly a good 12"!!!

Of course I'm making a gross characterization of the data I'm just glad someone picked up on it. When I read the writeup it didn't sound like there were any changes made between R2 and the final other than new tires is the reason for the comment.

So we can speculate on what we don't know or I can state facts that Josh was .848 quicker in the champ race with new tires than any other lap he ran on Saturday with no changes mentioned. (and Sook started Saturday with a set that had one heat cycle on them from Cota if I understood correctly?

Conversely, Michael and Kevin who you brought up were both slower on Sunday. Also slower on Sunday was: Jander, Mozader, Martin, Records, Patel, Leinart, Sanchez, Fernandez.
    Comparing lap times from a Saturday morning qualifying session vs a Sunday afternoon race is terrible. Come on man.....
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Quick SM Recap for me

After Hallett in March I noticed the bushings were walking in my rear upper control arms, ended up pulling all rear suspension and fixing the bushings and inspecting everything.

Due to the work on the car TnT was critical, on junk tires the car was pushing bad, the rear bar has 3 adjustments, ended up going full stiff which fixed it up on those tires.
    Lap times were not bad on 30HC tires but the car was very difficult to drive.
    Saturday comes, strapped on shiny 6HC tires, balance was now crazy oversteer, went full soft on the rear bar and made some small air pressure adjustments, around 34 hot seemed ideal based on pyro temps for the tires.

Car was now solid, made a friend for qual, did a little bump drafting and got pole by .2.

Checked the datalog, found the car was a little rich, dropped fuel pressure by 2psi for a bit more power.

Finished P1 for all races so I started up front, had a little fun on the start then left the field usually finishing with a 5 sec gap or so.
    Final race was very interesting with the legends cars, they were all over the place, I would give one a pass then it would sputter out and I would pass them back OR I give them the pass then they go off track.
    Had a red one spin right in front of me, almost tboned him, went 2 off, I almost spun but kept it together and finished P1 for the final race.

Next is COTA in 2 weeks with SCCA with the big boys!
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    #34's story was the best weekend it's had racing since sometime mid last season. Between MSRC and Hallett I have been through the whole harness looking for the issue that causes it to turn off in left turns. Everything else stayed on, fuel pump, gauges, cool suit, etc...but the car would lose ignition. I found the +12V wire to the TFI had a loose terminal inside the connector which was probably the issue. Spent Thursday finishing prep on the car after finding a bad front brake line Sunday (was out of town M-Wed night for work) and got it aligned and loaded up about 5pm after a day of thrashing. Drove up Friday, 4-legged crew chief and OIF BBQ enthusiast and wife in tow and got to Hallett in time to get nice and wet in the storm.

Saturday morning went out for warmup on MSRC RR's, car turned off completely coming into the bitch. I managed to roll to the end of pit lane and reset the ignition circuit breaker and got it refired and went back out. Lap 2 saw the same thing, this time got it refired sooner but decided to come in. That was basically the low point of the weekend after all the work I'd done going through the harness in the shop. If I offered the car for sale to you at a very low price during that time I retract that offer now.:-P A bunch of folks came over during the driver's meeting and took a look and Larry Jander actually found one of the alternator wires arcing out on the alternator body. Fixed that and the car was mechanically trouble free for the rest of the weekend. Larry is also invited for beers/fireball in my pit anytime.

Bolted on stickers and Qualified 8th for R1 which I was happy with given that I'd turned 2 laps on track prior to qual. Race 1 I was able to go from 8th to 3rd with an assist from Kevin in the left lane starting in second gear and ended up finishing there. R2 I was midpack when I went off bigly in 5 and finished in the back. R3 I was sitting pretty comfortable in 4th with about a second over 5 and 6 when the car picked up a massive push at about the 20minute mark and I lost touch with Jander and got caught by Dustin and Martin. I had to drive it alot harder to achieve the same laptimes and finished 6th.

Overall I was really satisfied with the weekend. I have some setup work to do to get the laptimes down, but on initial data review I drove more consistently than I normally do (less spread in laptimes over each session) and I was extremely pleased with how starts went.

Also...team 'Merica won the slip and flip and I'm definitely only drinking out of that trophy cup for the foreseeable future. Craig yelling 'FULL POUR' from the bottom of the hill still haunts me today though...that was rough.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Admittedly I had my best weekend there ever, but still left a little disappointed in myself. Car ran flawless on Friday so I put it away before I broke something, that something came in warmup Saturday when the alternator pulley nut backed off and I ejected the belt. Luckily the nut was still on there so I zinged it back on with an impact, installed the spare belt, popped the flip top on the radiator to check water, left it open and went out to qualify. Got 3 laps in and something wasn't right, so I did a cool down lap and came in. Car was 250 when I left the track and 270 (didn't know this was possible) when I killed it at tech. It took a good hour to get it cooled back down and I was really worried (still am) about the head gaskets. Car held temp so I raced it all weekend but the newly shrouded stock radiator really wasn't cutting it. Car ran about 249 degrees the whole time with oil in the blow your motor up territory. I had 2nd place all to myself until the yellow flag in R1. Mosty got around the 2 GTS cars and caught up to the rest of the field while I rotted behind them driving Miss Daisy watching Jander and Records now occupy my rear mirror. No biggie, just do your thing and they won't get by. . . until you miss a 2-3 shift leaving the bitch on the white flag lap. I got 4th that race. Good job Jander and Records, bad job Dustin. R2 was going about how an invert goes, I was as comfortably in 4th as one can be with Mosty grinding the paint off my rear bumper. . . until I missed 3rd leaving T3. Almost gave up 2 there but was able to hold off John Martin and kept 5th. R3 being cancelled ended up being a blessing in disguise, plus I was able to sleep off more of Saturday night. I qualified 5th for the final which is a pretty good place to be. Al kinda parked it on lap 1 around T2 and Dan got around me on the outside there. A lap or 2 later Dan got around Al and about 100 laps later I finally got around Al. If you think Randy's car is wide, you don't know Al's car. I got him once going into T1, but he over undered me and took it back in T2. There were one or 2 other aborted efforts that came up short. I really only managed to get around him when his car went down on power. A lap or 2 later Dan made a mistake in T1 and I got around him. Next it was my turn so I decided to understeer terribly in T10 giving John the opportunity to pass me in T1 which he did. Lucky for me he went too deep into T2 and I got back next to him, we went side by side through T3, T4, T5, and into T6 I had the inside and got my spot back. Shortly thereafter, the car started sounding weird in 4th gear and I figured it was going to be over soon. As I listened more, I came to realize the motor wasn't flat, the clutch was slipping! Holy crap, please don't grenade please don't grenade please don't grenade. Once I realized this, I realized that the clutch had been done all weekend, it was slipping a lot at both standing starts but then it was good after that. I have to wonder if the heat made it fade? Next up was getting lapped by all the faster cars, I really wish they'd done a better job of presenting themselves. They weren't breathing down my ass so it forced a much bigger lift than I wanted to give since John was still back there. In the end, I kept 4th and all cars passed tech, I came in 7# over my minimum. I remember jokingly saying someone in the top 3 please weigh under, then immediately started doing math in my head and realized it could be me and got real quiet. I didn't take into account the effect of the yellow in R1 on fuel consumption. You'd think it ends there, but it doesn't. Starting at the trip to my last race at LaJunta, the truck started semi-randomly rolling coal. Mind you, the truck has a 454 so it chugs enough gas on its own. Between then and Hallett, I'd found a mushed pin on the PCM connector which recessed a pin in the PCM. Fixing that fixed my wonky idle and 5V reference signal code and on the test drive it didn't roll coal. Fast forward to my Hallett drive and as soon as I dipped in elevation (again), it started its crap. It seemed to only do it at lower elevations, after the truck had a good 30 miles on it (heat), and was TP dependent. It seemed like it cleared up in PE mode, i.e. open loop. I was in a hurry to get there so I ate the gas and kept going. When I fired the truck up for the return trip, I was reminded of this issue. Dan to the rescue with some electronics cleaner for the MAF, or so I thought. Down the road I unplugged an O2 when it was pulling its crap and it ran clean in open loop for 100 miles and economy was up. I went to Oreilly's, bought their only O2 sensor, pulled both and replaced the sooty one. Now I was good to go (hack troubleshooting without a scanner FTW) and 1 more thing crossed off the 3500's list. Barring any major life incidents I'll be back next year with better cooling, hopefully less flawed driving, and a blower back on the dually. Not looking like I'll be able to do the LS swap this winter at this point so going to have to continue to optimize the LT1. It definitely smokes more now than it used to, Just ask John.
    RM CMC Director