Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hallett Recap - 2019

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    The 88 had a "meh" weekend, but considering we literally only done a couple dyno pulls after changing everything in the fuel system but the lines and the tank what could we expect?

As underpowered as it was it drove nice. I'm guessing part of that it it's probably a lot straighter than the last car (RIP OG #39). In fact, it wouldn't spin the tires coming up the bitch when I tried...

That and some clanking/grinding noise from the new rear end was interesting. And I think the thing ran out of brakes...

Good job racing all.

Good news is, we were pretty sure we were under on track width.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    I drove an underpowered CMC (cheater?) Mustang last November. It too drove nice, but really made me wonder what it would do at the ragged edge? Gonna have to revisit that as we suspect its problems have been solved. I just realized something important though: the highest placing Chevy in the final was rocking an LT1.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    on junk tires the car was pushing bad, the rear bar has 3 adjustments, ended up going full stiff which fixed it up on those tires.
    Lap times were not bad on 30HC tires but the car was very difficult to drive.
    Saturday comes, strapped on shiny 6HC tires, balance was now crazy oversteer, went full soft on the rear bar and made some small air pressure adjustments, around 34 hot seemed ideal based on pyro temps for the tires.
    As stated by many smart racers before, the first rule of testing is not to use junk tires. Since using fresh Toyos isn't going to happen, Josh and I have found that testing with the 200 treadwear street tires is a better compromise than crap Toyos. The street tires have a softer sidewall and a bit different handling feel so it's not optimum but the balance is comparable to fresh Toyos and they have stayed consistent over all the events we have done with them. Doing setup changes based on used Toyos isn't the best idea as they go through unpredictable balance changes as they cycle out unevenly. I don't think driving on crap Toyos is all that bad for driver training. If you can get good at the sharp falloff of them, driving fresh tires will be easy in comparison. For me, I've given up on them even though I get them for free. It's just not worth making my track time less enjoyable.

Josh and I will be out at MSRH again this weekend experimenting with more setup stuff. As we are still learning with the softer setup, I'm curious if the Hallett setup will work well at Houston or if the soft setup is going to want something different at every track?

Richard P.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    As stated by many smart racers before, the first rule of testing is not to use junk tires. Since using fresh Toyos isn't going to happen, Josh and I have found that testing with the 200 treadwear street tires is a better compromise than crap Toyos. The street tires have a softer sidewall and a bit different handling feel so it's not optimum but the balance is comparable to fresh Toyos and they have stayed consistent over all the events we have done with them. Doing setup changes based on used Toyos isn't the best idea as they go through unpredictable balance changes as they cycle out unevenly. I don't think driving on crap Toyos is all that bad for driver training. If you can get good at the sharp falloff of them, driving fresh tires will be easy in comparison. For me, I've given up on them even though I get them for free. It's just not worth making my track time less enjoyable.

Josh and I will be out at MSRH again this weekend experimenting with more setup stuff. As we are still learning with the softer setup, I'm curious if the Hallett setup will work well at Houston or if the soft setup is going to want something different at every track?

Richard P.
    Interested to see how it works out at MSR-H.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post

Richard P.
    Exactly, we even joked about having to revert the setup once we put better tires on and that’s exactly how it went down. Good idea on testing with 200tw tires! Crust old RR’s are like driving in the rain, keep you on your toes and are not very predictable lol.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    the lowest placed running Chevy in the final was rocking an LT1.
    Fixed it.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!