Thread: Hallett Recap - 2019

Hybrid View

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    So we can speculate on what we don't know or I can state facts that Josh was .848 quicker in the champ race with new tires than any other lap he ran on Saturday with no changes mentioned. (and Sook started Saturday with a set that had one heat cycle on them from Cota if I understood correctly?
    Josh made changes after qualifying and after the first race. Since he had a poor finish in the first race, he started pretty far up in the invert and was leading the race going into Turn 2. After that, there was no need to push hard and saving the tires for the third race that he would have started from last was the best plan. Also, you don't want to risk throwing the car off track pushing harder than needed. Well, other than the lap he messed up the entrance to the Bitch because he was distracted by an empty water bottle underneath his pedals. As a person who assembles safety critical flight hardware for astronauts in a FOD free lab, I'm wholly embarrassed to have missed that since I gave him the water in impound after the first race...

Anyway, if we didn't think there would be a delta in performance by going with a fresh set of tires we wouldn't have put them on. I don't think that number is a fair representation of the delta, though. If race three had been run in the dry, I think the delta between old and new would have been a little bit bigger. If the rain on Sunday morning had come without lightning, Josh would have been fine as we had rain tires ready to go. For those not keeping track, that's a set of practice tires, a set of lightly used tires, a set of stickers, and a set of rain tires brought to the track for one event. Having won my AI championship without ever owning more than one set of wheels, this seems completely nuts to me...

Richard P.
    Last edited by RichardP; 06-13-2019 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    Well, other than the lap he messed up the entrance to the Bitch because he was distracted by an empty water bottle underneath his pedals.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that already. It was under a different pedal in every turn. Also the passenger seat belts weren't bucked so the left shoulder belt kept hitting me. Amazing how little things like that can be so distracting.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Congrats to Josh and the #50 team for a fantastic win! What a great job to get it done, test, tune, adapt, find a way to find a way!!
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net