Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: MB Battle wheels...would you run this?

  1. #1

    MB Battle wheels...would you run this?

    As everyone knows the 17 x 9.5 wheel is no where to be found. I have a set (2 sets actually) but one was recently damaged and I'm concerned about running it. It seems straight but it's got a little material removed from the spokes....would you run it?


    20190527_101007.jpg20190527_100944.jpg20190527_100954.jpg20190527_101049.jpg

  2. #2
    Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Friendswood, TX
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by t500hps View Post
    As everyone knows the 17 x 9.5 wheel is no where to be found. I have a set (2 sets actually) but one was recently damaged and I'm concerned about running it. It seems straight but it's got a little material removed from the spokes....would you run it?
    Fascinating question. My best guess is that the wheel is still strong enough but you will have a fatigue failure crack start at one or more of the spokes. Based on the geometry of the wheel, I'm guessing the crack will start at the bottom of one of the sharpest V cuts in the mid span of the spokes (shown circled).

    So, no I wouldn't run it. But as a nerdy engineer, I would love for someone else to run it and report back the results...


    Richard P.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by t500hps View Post
    As everyone knows the 17 x 9.5 wheel is no where to be found. I have a set (2 sets actually) but one was recently damaged and I'm concerned about running it. It seems straight but it's got a little material removed from the spokes....would you run it?


    20190527_101007.jpg20190527_100944.jpg20190527_100954.jpg20190527_101049.jpg
    I'd retire that one to coffee table duty.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

  4. #4
    Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Killeen, TX
    Posts
    138
    I've seen some folks TIG weld wheels before with success. TIG I have read pulls impurities out and leaves a 100% strength in the material with 95% penetration. Im not a pro welder, but it might be worth talking to one.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

  5. #5
    Senior Member Grass-Passer Supercharged111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    968
    Just JB Weld and send it.
    RM CMC Director

  6. #6
    I'm not real interested in running it.......but I can't find a replacement!!!!!

  7. #7
    Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    389
    I went on a search the other day for 17x9.5" wheels (I still run 9") and there aren't a lot of (cheap) options.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Georgetown, TEXAS
    Posts
    4,024
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by t500hps View Post
    I'm not real interested in running it.......but I can't find a replacement!!!!!
    I can have my welder TIG it up for you if you like at no charge and it will look great but no promises on how well it holds up.


    JJ

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    I can have my welder TIG it up for you if you like at no charge and it will look great but no promises on how well it holds up.


    JJ
    Thanks for the offer but I'm not real concerned about cosmetics. I wish there was a way to test how strong it is like it sits.....I'd run it like this if I was confident it wasn't structurally compromised.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    402
    Quote Originally Posted by t500hps View Post
    Thanks for the offer but I'm not real concerned about cosmetics. I wish there was a way to test how strong it is like it sits.....I'd run it like this if I was confident it wasn't structurally compromised.
    Here's a way to test for cracks but even if they "passed" I still wouldn't run those wheels...they're pretty chewed up. You'd have to test 'em multiple times over a weekend to catch the eventual failure before it inevitably happens. Not practical or safe IMO. Might be a good time to look into some gently used RPF01s and have Jerry's guy weld on some spacers...I hear that was the hot ticket a few years ago.

    https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gr...upID=CRACKTEST
    Last edited by Casey_SS; 07-07-2019 at 01:45 AM.
    2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •