Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dirt Track and Karting

Senior Member Carroll Shelby

Dirt Track and Karting

Hey guys, just curious as to why ya'll picked something like CMC compared to running on the dirt or karting? The drives and weekend commitments/money around road racing are getting harder and karting/dirt are sounding more attractive.
    Waking up Saturday and saying, let's go racing tonight boys sounds pretty nice.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    Hey guys, just curious as to why ya'll picked something like CMC compared to running on the dirt or karting? The drives and weekend commitments/money around road racing are getting harder and karting/dirt are sounding more attractive.
    Waking up Saturday and saying, let's go racing tonight boys sounds pretty nice.
    I'm all for running at a dirt track (Waco) but I'm too fat for a go-cart. When I was a single man I helped a guy with a asphalt hobby stock car at Paramount Austin Speedway (1977). He let me take the car out in a trophy dash once for helping him and it was a blast. There were no driving suits at that time in Hobby stock so they assumed he was driving. I can tell you later they opened a dirt track in Georgetown and he spend all his time beating out all the damage from the previous weeks race.

Jerry

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    I'm very interested in dirt track racing, have always road raced and just never tried it. Have been having a blast on iRacing doing dirt stuff ...
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Quote Originally Posted by drecords View Post
    I'm very interested in dirt track racing, have always road raced and just never tried it. Have been having a blast on iRacing doing dirt stuff ...
    Have you ever seen it in person? It's amazing
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    Have you ever seen it in person? It's amazing
    What's the typical cost (build/buy) of a competitive dirt car? In my limited experience the correct answer when talking about cost with any race car is "all of it."

Can't beat the camaraderie in CMC, which is the main reason I think most of us are here. Cost of entry is still high (compared to something like golf), but lower than most other road racing classes.

- Josh
    CMC #50

I very nearly went sprint car racing before I went to CMC. Grew up watching dirt oval racing and I still love it. Need to bring your street fighting skills.....

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trublu View Post
    I very nearly went sprint car racing before I went to CMC. Grew up watching dirt oval racing and I still love it. Need to bring your street fighting skills.....
    I went to high school with a guy (Donnie Moore) that was fast in everything he touched. He raced motocross (like I did) but he was one of the fastest in Texas. Then after high school he raced every kind of car on every dirt track in Texas. He also is one of the best race car builders around but when he got a ride driving a Sprint Car and flipped it eight times he said no way would he ever get in one of those things again.
    Smiley Sitton used to have a deal where you could go take a few laps in a sprint car and I always wanted to do it. I don't see it on his web site anymore. http://www.outlawdrivingschool.com/classes.html

JJ
    Last edited by ShadowBolt; 07-31-2019 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    I went to high school with a guy (Donnie Moore) that was fast in everything he touched. He raced motocross (like I did) but he was one of the fastest in Texas. Then after high school he raced every kind of car on every dirt track in Texas. He also is one of the best race car builders around but when he got a ride driving a Sprint Car and flipped it eight times he said no way would he ever get in one of those things again.
    Smiley Sitton used to have a deal where you could go take a few laps in a sprint car and I always wanted to do it. I don't see it on his web site anymore. http://www.outlawdrivingschool.com/classes.html

JJ
    yeah, sprint cars scare me, I was thinking a limited modified, they go for around $10k
    Last edited by mach1; 07-31-2019 at 01:24 PM.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Rookie
    I started with a kart. Back could not take the pounding of no suspension. Karting is the most cost effective way to race and go scary fast if you want to. But you can still spend a fortune if you want to.

I spent my 20's with 2 friends who raced dirt track cars. A lot of time spent repairing attrition. CMC has nothing on the stuff we were doing every weekend to repair cars. Street fighter mentality is an understatement, at least back then. Lots of major feuds too. Cost is still in the consumables not vehicles.

What about legends cars? I know nothing about cost really.
    Last edited by centerville; 07-31-2019 at 11:42 PM. Reason: can't spell

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    I raced dirt for several years and absolutely love it.. still may return. Dirt racing has some issues though...

1. Cost.. it is not the cost of the car, or the racing, but the cost of the engines. Even the lowest slowest stock car classes are now running $10,000 engines if you want to be competitive.
    2. Time... You work on the car non-stop, Sunday through Saturday, to do it all over again the next week.

CMC was a great class that you could race with an inexpensive car and be competitive. Initially I started racing CMC in a car I spent roughly $8,500 building and it was competitive, albeit a budget built car. Even factoring in traveling and registrations, I was still spending half of what I was spending racing dirt with the track within 10 miles of my house.

I personally feel, CMC has moved away from the original intent and is getting too costly as well, but it still cheaper than most other types of racing.

I never karted, but looks fun... but for me still a travel to anyplace.

I have rented Legends cars and had a blast.... even slightly considered buying in, but after talking with some folks the issues of torn up cars and Miata like engine builds made me decide not too look much farther into it.

I might would consider Spec Corvette, but haven't dug much into those cars yet either.