Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Engine Block Cracked

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    Bottom ends are the same, so aluminum heads will get your compression up where the F bodies are stock. You'll definitely want to change the cam too because it will come in low on HP and waaaayy hot on torque.
    Huge thank you to Morgan for saving the day. Got his heads, and Monday they'll go into the machine shop. I've had a bunch of various LT1 parts in my bins for over a decade. A little surface corrosion, but I have some LT1 cams that should be good to go. Hoping to have the car ready by the end of October.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
    Huge thank you to Morgan for saving the day. Got his heads, and Monday they'll go into the machine shop. I've had a bunch of various LT1 parts in my bins for over a decade. A little surface corrosion, but I have some LT1 cams that should be good to go. Hoping to have the car ready by the end of October.
    I've always wondered if a machine shop can polish a cam the way they do a crank.
    RM CMC Director

LT1 swap is coming along. Dont think I'll make Cresson. Shooting for ECR in December.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

There was a lot of information in this thread. I appreciate all the help from everyone. Declaring LT1 / T56 swap complete. Today I got the car dyno'd. It runs and sounds good. Gonna register with Chin for a trackday at MSR-H next weekend (Dec 17th) for my own test n tune, and a little practice there before next season opener.

I ended up taking 30 days of leave and have spent hundreds of hours working on this thing. 12-16hrs a day sometimes. It was WAY more work and way more odds 'n' ends that eat at the overall budget of the conversion than I ever thought about. I got it done realistically for about $2500. Some may balk at the LT route I went instead of LS, but I think the LT was cheaper overall and it kinda fell into my hands cheaply and easily.

Again thanks for the advice from everyone. Special thanks to Dustin for lots of back and forth LT1 questions, and Morgan for giving me some free aluminum LT1 heads. I hope if nothing else to add to the car count next year.

20221207_055845637_iOS.jpg
    Last edited by 64GunPilot; 12-10-2022 at 02:32 AM.
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Wow, that looks super clean, nice work Dylan!!!
    I hope the test day goes great next weekend and look forward to having you back on track next season!
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Looks great! It'll be awesome to see it at Houston in January.

Josh
    CMC #50

Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    Looks great! It'll be awesome to see it at Houston in January.

Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    Wow, that looks super clean, nice work Dylan!!!
    I hope the test day goes great next weekend and look forward to having you back on track next season!
    Thanks. We'll see if it holds up.
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Wow Dylan. Looks like we could eat dinner on it. Hope the dyno went well and good luck on track shakedown.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24