Thread: Engine Block Cracked

Hybrid View

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Even if you eliminate the optical sensor, the cap and rotor still sucks. I had a rotor explode at the track once, another time the rotor fell off, both requiring the water pump and crank pulley to come off to get to the opti to deal with it.
    I don't think that's a good example to write an engine off. I've never seen that happen myself or to anyone. The LS swap has a lot of hidden costs that really add up. Call it $600+ to convert an LT trans if you do it yourself, need clutch and master/slave. If starting with a truck motor need an intake, oil pan, all accessories, computer, wiring, and you'll make the same 260/310. All that to say I'm slowly gathering the stuff to do it myself.
    RM CMC Director

Junior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    I don't think that's a good example to write an engine off. I've never seen that happen myself or to anyone. The LS swap has a lot of hidden costs that really add up. Call it $600+ to convert an LT trans if you do it yourself, need clutch and master/slave. If starting with a truck motor need an intake, oil pan, all accessories, computer, wiring, and you'll make the same 260/310. All that to say I'm slowly gathering the stuff to do it myself.
    Well it happened to my LT4 C4 twice at TWS. I then went to the LTCC setup to ditch the cap/rotor part of the opti (which required pulling the water pump/opti AGAIN), then the optical half failed and I got to pull the water pump/opti AGAIN. If you can keep an LT running, you're a better man than I (but that isn't saying much haha), but I'm 100% done with them. I swore I'd never buy another LT, then I bought another LT and I pretty much instantly regretted it.

I think an LS swap is probably $7-8k to do it right, but I can't put a price on less LT frustration at the track.
    Last edited by Mojave; 06-07-2022 at 10:19 AM.