Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TMS Recap - 2019

Senior Member Rookie
    Here is my take on an awesome weekend.

I did comp school on Friday and received my provisional license to go racing. WooHoo!

Saturday morning warm up went ok. Didn't feel great about it but I was glad to have the stress of comp school over with. Qualifying I decided to just work on a couple corners as rookies start at the back no matter what times you run. I felt better about 3 and 7 after the session. R1 first standing start, don't miss a shift. I didn't but the t5 is worn so 2-3 is horrible. When its over I finished 3rd. One heck of a first day racing.

Sunday morning warm up went out and tried to pick up time as the temps were down. Picked up speed almost everywhere. Qualifying just went out and tried to stay in the gas all the way into 1-2, crazy fast and I slightly lifted. Again as I rookie I am supposed to start last no matter how I qualify so I come in early to be ready for the R2.

R2 for whatever reason I'm not at the back, I'm in p3. No problem just don't miss a shift. 2-3 did not work this time at all but Pranav did not run me over. Thanks. When its all over 4th place and picked up a bunch of time from Saturday. R3 is an invert and I did not know that, nor were grid spots posted. When I pulled into grid I am told to go to p1. So much for rookies starting at the back. lol First rolling start and things went well. Finished 8 seconds faster than my Saturday times and in 3rd place again.

Outstanding weekend and I can't thank everyone enough for guiding me through my first weekend and all the noob questions. I can not wait till MSRH. I have quite a few things that need to be addressed before then so no NOLA for me.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drecords View Post
    How old was it Jerry? I'd consider changing them before TMS.
    I'm sorry I misspoke. I broke a spindle at Hallett.

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    That’s the first time I have seen the track let anyone use turn 1 and 2 banking. They used to make us use the flat area on the bottom of the banking for turn 1,2 and then we could use the bank for the other side of the track for whatever reason. So with turn 1,2 banking this track just got a whole lot faster haha and brakes even more critical!!
    “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
    ― Paul Newman

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    I'm sorry I misspoke. I broke a spindle at Hallett.

JJ
    To be fair, looking at the failure surface, it seems likely you actually cracked your spindle at Cresson when you broke the strut. It was probably difficult/impossible to see with your eyes at the time. If you had done a crack check at any point between then and Hallett, the failure would have been obvious.

For anyone that takes a big hit, doing a crack check on suspected parts is pretty easy. I give a class on fatigue failures/crack checking for my DE students. There isn't an equivalent outlet for the racers but I'm happy to give the class if someone wants to see it...

Richard P.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    That’s the first time I have seen the track let anyone use turn 1 and 2 banking. They used to make us use the flat area on the bottom of the banking for turn 1,2 and then we could use the bank for the other side of the track for whatever reason. So with turn 1,2 banking this track just got a whole lot faster haha and brakes even more critical!!
    Definitely, that braking zone into turn 3 was really tempting to try and push it back, but you come in there at vmax and even a slight bit of lockup would result in overcooking into the turn or missing it all together. Really fun when you get it right.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Quote Originally Posted by drecords View Post
    Definitely, that braking zone into turn 3 was really tempting to try and push it back, but you come in there at vmax and even a slight bit of lockup would result in overcooking into the turn or missing it all together. Really fun when you get it right.
    I can vouch for T3. Brake early, brake hard.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Rookie
    Great corner, never got it right. There is always next year.
    Last edited by centerville; 08-20-2019 at 10:52 PM.
    Mike
    No more race car

Teething pains of NASA running there notwithstanding, it sounds like you guys had a great time and will be eager to go back for future events. That's excellent
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    So you guys were running flat out through the entire oval section? Top speeds of 130mph ? How did your cars feel? Did they feel like they were on the limits of grip or had plenty to spare on the turns? Wish I coulda been there.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

It felt like you had unlimited grip, until you didn't all of a sudden - especially coming into NASCAR 1. The cars want to climb the bank when they get loose.

- Josh
    CMC #50