Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing from 3.42 to 3.23

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries

Changing from 3.42 to 3.23

Those that don't know already broke my T2r and took out the r&p with it after 6yrs of service; wheel contact at WOT likely did it, so need a new r&p

At TMS there were 2-3 notable spots where I wish I had a few hundred extra RPM to avoid upshifting.

At COTA there's 1-2 spots for sure.

Going from the LT to the LS I'm constantly feeling like I have to downshift anyways for corner exits but it does great at high RPM and I dont need to shift in the low/mid 5s anymore.

Hallett and MSRC i think so too or would I be needing a higher ratio there?

I got some data I need to post up, curious how you guys are coming up with the best axle ratio.

You mustang guys are lucky, more differential and gear ratio choices.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't see how there is a best overall ratio. I have ran with 3:73's (now 3:31's) and I know Michael runs 3:55's. Aaron and Kevin run 3:28's if I remember. One way you have more power to the wheels but shift more often and the other is a little slower out of the corner but less time lost shifting. I'm sure there is a perfect gear but every track would be different.

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    The only reason I went to 3.27's was because of having to go to 5th gear on the front straight of TWS (I can't get a RR 5th) and now COTA. If I had a RR 5th I'd be using 3.55's.

Blog Entries
    I can't hit 5th reliably in my car, most likely going to switch to a 3.27. I prefer to treat it like a 4-speed. I have a spare axle housing and T2, might just build it to a 3.27 and swap between that and the 3.55 for the high speed tracks like TMS and COTA
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Blog Entries
    I could also just man up and buy two sets of gears and swap in the garage.

With the crush sleeve eliminator it's just a matter of recording the shims.

Given the cost of f body third members, why wouldn't you just have two complete axle assemblies? Seems like a lot less mess and the ability to have a complete ready to run spare at the track.
    Al Fernandez

Blog Entries
    My chiropractor would kill me lol. I've R&Red the axle housing a few times and its a bitch.

Completely unprepared John myself and the other guy got the gears and diff swapped in 2 hrs.

I am making it a point to pull the cover every other event, i think if i prep + bag/zip them this would work. 3.23 for COTA and TMS type tracks, 3.73 for cresson, hallett

Not sure what I would run at MSRH or ECR but can just look at the data to see what makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    Those that don't know already broke my T2r and took out the r&p with it after 6yrs of service; wheel contact at WOT likely did it, so need a new r&p

At TMS there were 2-3 notable spots where I wish I had a few hundred extra RPM to avoid upshifting.

At COTA there's 1-2 spots for sure.

Going from the LT to the LS I'm constantly feeling like I have to downshift anyways for corner exits but it does great at high RPM and I dont need to shift in the low/mid 5s anymore.

Hallett and MSRC i think so too or would I be needing a higher ratio there?

I got some data I need to post up, curious how you guys are coming up with the best axle ratio.

You mustang guys are lucky, more differential and gear ratio choices.

Some are running 4:10!

quiet you!
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    quiet you!
    Sounds like Al has that cheater short 5th?
    RM CMC Director