Thread: Changing from 3.42 to 3.23

Hybrid View

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    The only reason I went to 3.27's was because of having to go to 5th gear on the front straight of TWS (I can't get a RR 5th) and now COTA. If I had a RR 5th I'd be using 3.55's.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    I can't hit 5th reliably in my car, most likely going to switch to a 3.27. I prefer to treat it like a 4-speed. I have a spare axle housing and T2, might just build it to a 3.27 and swap between that and the 3.55 for the high speed tracks like TMS and COTA
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    I could also just man up and buy two sets of gears and swap in the garage.

With the crush sleeve eliminator it's just a matter of recording the shims.

Given the cost of f body third members, why wouldn't you just have two complete axle assemblies? Seems like a lot less mess and the ability to have a complete ready to run spare at the track.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    My chiropractor would kill me lol. I've R&Red the axle housing a few times and its a bitch.

Completely unprepared John myself and the other guy got the gears and diff swapped in 2 hrs.

I am making it a point to pull the cover every other event, i think if i prep + bag/zip them this would work. 3.23 for COTA and TMS type tracks, 3.73 for cresson, hallett

Not sure what I would run at MSRH or ECR but can just look at the data to see what makes sense.