Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
I seem to recall there being an injector balance test the even the EECIV Fords could perform without any special scanners.
The biggest (only?) advantage of the engine Jerry is running is the computer's diagnostic capability. With the simplest of scanners, you can tap into what the engine is trying to do and the issues it is having. It's not clear what codes would be set in a race car that spends most of it's time in open loop? If you ran an engine with a stuck injector on the street, you would get codes for air/fuel out of range per bank, your fuel trims would be maxed out, and there would probably be misfire codes specific to the cylinder.

If there is something suspect with a motor, it's easy to check the computer. Sometimes it's useless information but it can be very helpful. Also, I don't know how Jerry's car is set up, but I've seen so many racecars where the standard procedure is to dump all power with the main cutoff switch when you park it. I still struggle with Dan on that one. That erases all sorts of good information and resets fuel trims, etc. Not the best plan.

There is one thing to keep in mind with using an injector shop for diagnostic work. Almost all of them first clean your injectors and then test them. If there is something physically wrong with your injectors it will be flagged. If your problem had to do with clogged injectors, they could easily come back as all good.

Richard P.