Thread: Cameras revisited

Cameras revisited

Its been a while since we had a thread on cameras. One of the lessons learned from Champs is that we were only able to get video from about half of the cars involved in contact, so drivers really need to step up their focus on video reliability and not merely owning the hardware. Reasons for lack of video included dead batteries, forgot to turn it on, turned it on but it was in picture mode instead of video mode, and memory cards being full and the camera simply stops recording (instead of overwriting the oldest file...dumb programming)

However, when we did have video, it was awesome and without reservation I can say that it made the difference in several contact evaluations I was involved in (both in my run group and as part of appeals committees in others).

On my car, I have a dirt cheap Yi camera (currently $50), which auto starts and stops so I cant forget, and which does overwrite the oldest file when the memory card fills up. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work right placing it inside the car so the video would show what the steering wheel is doing and have an external view that wasn't either washed out by the sun or only being a tiny part of the video screen window...so I mounted it on the windshield in front of the mirror so at least I have good outside view.

What is everyone running these days? Are you happy with it?
    Al Fernandez

I have a front Yi and a rear Yi on my car. My gopros always seem to be messing up - the Yi is nice because you can set it and forget it.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    I have a front Yi and a rear Yi on my car. My gopros always seem to be messing up - the Yi is nice because you can set it and forget it.

- Josh
    Same here
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    My Gopro is fine as long as I reformat the card once or twice a year. It gets really wonky if I don't. I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to the camera. I'm just glad we've had a pretty damn clean year here so far but I don't want to speak too soon as there is 1 event left.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    I brought the Yi from my daily driver in Korea, but I also bought two of these super cheap cameras to try them out. $22 on Amazon Prime and I love them. They have a "driving mode" that turns them on and off automatically and will continuously record over top of other video. The video is superb. As the reviews do say, the sound kinda sucks, but who cares in a racecar. These exceeded my expectations and I will buy more for other things.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a Yi camera as well. I dont like how it segments the video, and classifies higher g-force braking, turn, and acceleration events into the "Emergency" folder. I can't disable this. If I want to publish or share anything, I have to go find it all and stitch it all together and its just a pain in the ass. I did change the settings to the least sensitive, but it still does it. Maybe Im just not smooth enough at the wheel yet. But check out the link above. Good cheap cameras that are near go-pro video quality.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee