Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: NOLA Oct 19-20

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    It's a shame this event isn't better attended. Classic CMC stuff going on. John is faster than Josh but Josh is out there now trying to find more time. John's car died on track last session. A quick diagnosis shows the crank spins but the cam doesn't. Wrenches coming out to dig deep to figure out the exact reason.

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I threw in the towel early in the week due to work and just a complete lack of energy.

Instead I took the car down to Alvin to have some body and random trim/fabwork done, so I can focus on a few things over the winter.

Anyways on my way down to Alvin from Spring a couple of guys waved at me and pointed at my trailer while in stop and go traffic, looked back in time to see a huge puff of smoke come out the trailer wheels.

Stopped in downtown and found I smoked an outer bearing again, stopped by an oreilly's to get some tools and spent an hour fighting with it and got the spare hub/bearing swapped on; thanks to those guys I didn't trash an axle end by running it for miles and miles.

Glad I was not doing that in the middle of the night on the way NOLA.
    Last edited by Pranav; 10-20-2019 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AllZWay View Post
    Not currently racing... but I certainly would want four races instead of three.
    Ditto

We had FOUR races at NOLA, I think the three race thing was a mixup.
    CMC #50

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rleng1 View Post
    Still running 4 race weekends here in RM. CMC car counts seem to be improving.
    We should have double digit car counts next year so you guys should pick a race to come up here next July or August.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    So, the big battle for the championship was a bust. After lots of poking and prodding, it was determined that John's engine issue wasn't anything that was going to be fixed at the track. Big bummer for the battle and a huge bummer for John.

That doesn't mean that the championship was wrapped up. Michael was still mathematically alive but all Josh had to do was win one race or start two races to clinch. In the first race, Michael had the fastest lap by .023 seconds but Josh won the tight battle by less than 1/2 a second to claim the championship. There were more spectacular battles in the second and third races with Michael taking one and Josh taking another.

The good news for Josh is that by taking two of the three races, he beat the points total that Michael would have had if his DQ was droppable. That means that Michael didn't loose the championship because of the rule issue that unfairly penalized him for his exhaust falling off. It was just a solid battle to the end between two very worthy competitors.

Michael bailed before the fourth race. Josh and I decided to stick around for the fourth race. I don't believe anyone in Texas has run in AIX this season. I can also find no evidence that anyone has ever run AIX at NOLA? We had mentioned it earlier in the weekend and Craig said he was thinking of running in AIX. He bailed Sunday morning and we don't know if he ever did? Anyway, Josh got with the race director and changed his class to AIX for the last race. If Craig didn't run in AIX, that means that the two laps Josh ran in the last race were good enough for the win in AIX, the lap record at NOLA in AIX, and the Texas region AIX Championship. I guess it also gets him the NOLA region AIX championship to go with his NOLA region CMC championship if nobody runs in either of those classes at their last event of their season??? Anyway, silly stuff that might not actually happen as the official results on RaceHero don't actually show the change to AIX yet. They are supposed to be correct when the official results come out but we'll see. The results do show Heather with her second win in CMC as she ran more laps than Josh in the fourth race...

Josh said he was going to work on some video highlights from the weekend. He's also trying to figure out what to do with his racecar as it's looking a bit rough. Anyone have a spare Mustang tub they are looking to get rid of?

Richard P.

Finally got the R1 video together.

Clearly, I wasn't ready for the start. The leaders of the field never formed up but they threw the green anyway. Michael and I had an insanely close battle for the whole race. It's hard to see once I'm in front, but he was right on my bumper the whole time.

Here's where I tried to pass a Corvette in the grass, three wide with Michael:
    https://youtu.be/qFmNkbBw0ts?t=174

Pass for the win:
    https://youtu.be/qFmNkbBw0ts?t=643

We went three wide again a few corners before the checkered flag (can't see Michael in the video but he's on my right). Comp school 350Z that didn't quite know what was going on for the whole previous lap:
    https://youtu.be/qFmNkbBw0ts?t=1348

Great race, I'll work on getting R3 up which was also an awesome battle.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Rookie
    Great job Josh and congrats! Thanks for posting this.
    Mike
    No more race car

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Nice work!!! Thanks for posting, Congratulations!!!
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    In the words of flyin Bryan, if you ain't in the dirt you ain't tryin.
    RM CMC Director