Thread: Inverting the grid question

Inverting the grid question

Quick question, if you invert the field for a race based on results from the previous race does the pole sitter get to chose left or right (inside or outside)?

A quick look at the CCR states:

20.3.2 Choosing the pole The pole sitter does not have the option of choosing the pole, unless otherwise arranged with the Race Director. The Pole sitter side will by default, always go to the inside of the first turn,
    unless otherwise mandated or approved by the Race Director. If the pole sitter is allowed to choose the opposite side, that will only "reverse" the first row and have no effect on drivers that are 3rd or higher on the grid.

I did not know that regardless of what the pole sitter chooses regarding grid position the rest of the field is unaffected. It doesn't specify whether or not the field is inverted or that its only based off an official qualifying race. Dustin and I were talking about this topic this weekend so I thought I'd see how others are handling it.
    Last edited by BADVENM; 10-14-2019 at 03:10 PM.

So that's the rule, the issue is that the 3rd place guy (even when it's me) doesn't know the rule so the whole grid gets shifted around anyway. The only race I've been in where the pole sitter chose the opposite side I think was a rain race.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    This came up years ago when Dave was still in charge, that's when it came out that only the front row changed. Somehow all this time I'd missed the fact that you're supposed to run it by the race group director though.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Grass-Passer rleng1's Avatar
    Yep, this is NASCAR's rule as well. It depends on who is behind you and who you want to bump draft with.
    Randy English
    NASA Texas --> Rocky Mtn Region
    CMC #77 Camaro

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rleng1 View Post
    Yep, this is NASCAR's rule as well. It depends on who is behind you and who you want to bump draft with.
    Don't pick Randy, he me down on multiple attempts.
    RM CMC Director

When I am RD, my preference is to allow the pole sitter to choose which side they start on and make it a point to discuss during the Saturday driver's meeting. I will admit not focusing on what happens behind them lol oops
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No wonder I have lined up on the wrong side several times. I assumed if I was supposed to be two guys behind the pole sitter (starting fifth) that I would go to whatever line he was in. Now I just look at the list and see who I am supposed to line up behind (works unless I'm starting third and the pole sitter wants the outside). I get it now. Just like NASCAR.

JJ