Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Season Opener - MSR-H **Time to Sign-Up**

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well guys I'm sorry to say this but I'm out for this weekend. After losing the engine due to fuel wash last season starting at Cresson and ending at Hallett I had the lower end rebuilt and the heads cleaned up. I had sent the 21 lb. injectors to Houston to get them cleaned and they said two were stuck open but they were good to go after they cleaned them. When I started the engine for the first time it had two dead holes. I did a compression and everything was good. I changed the plugs and coil packs but still had two dead holes. Turned out to be two of the injectors were not firing. I installed two old 19 lb'ers in the place of the two dead 21's and it ran smooth. So I purchased a new set of 24 lb. injectors. 19 lb. injectors are at 85% duty cycle at 258 hp and so I did not want that and there are no 21 lb. injectors available new (just more used E-bay crap). I went to the dyno on Monday and made 202 hp at 10:1. I had a guy send me a tune that was set for 24 lb. injectors even though I know I can't run it just to see if that was the issue (there are all kinds of thoughts on this if you can or can't run 24's without adjusting the computer but Ford says the computer can compensate for up to a 30% difference on a stock tune after driving for a ways). After installing a tune for the 24 lb. injectors I went back to the dyno yesterday in the rain and 40 degree weather just to pull another 202 hp this time at 11:1 fuel ratio. Not only that but as soon as we got a little heat in the engine (still way below thermostat opening) the car would die right after starting. It died two times when he started it up to drive it on the rollers and two more times when he tried to start it to do the pull. I was told something else is wrong because even if I had a way to change the ratio from 11:1 to 12.5:1 I would not gain 50 hp (I was told maybe 15). So whatever took the engine out last year is still wrong and it's not the injectors as I had assumed. I have to find someone (hopefully in the Central Texas area) that can data-log the car and help me figure this out. I have too much money in the engine to mess it up again. I'm at my wits end! You guys have fun and maybe I will see you at Cresson. I'm just sick about it as I was looking forward to hanging out with you guys and racing this weekend.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Who knows what kind of tuning software is best to diagnose problems for the 4.6 Ford? I have talked to Jerry a lot about his issues and believe if a knowledgeable tuner or repair shop could look at all the parameters with something like HP Tuners then there is a chance that they find something way out of wack that would point to a sensor/wiring/computer etc. I'm not talking about needing any sort of tune but something the computer is seeing must be making it so rich and probably pulling all the timing out at the same time.
    I know of True Street in Mckinney up here that does a lot of tuning and I think would be a place he should drop it off but there has to be someone closer who can plug into the OBD and see what the computer is seeing and doing.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    Well guys I'm sorry to say this but I'm out for this weekend. After losing the engine due to fuel wash last season starting at Cresson and ending at Hallett I had the lower end rebuilt and the heads cleaned up. I had sent the 21 lb. injectors to Houston to get them cleaned and they said two were stuck open but they were good to go after they cleaned them. When I started the engine for the first time it had two dead holes. I did a compression and everything was good. I changed the plugs and coil packs but still had two dead holes. Turned out to be two of the injectors were not firing. I installed two old 19 lb'ers in the place of the two dead 21's and it ran smooth. So I purchased a new set of 24 lb. injectors. 19 lb. injectors are at 85% duty cycle at 258 hp and so I did not want that and there are no 21 lb. injectors available new (just more used E-bay crap). I went to the dyno on Monday and made 202 hp at 10:1. I had a guy send me a tune that was set for 24 lb. injectors even though I know I can't run it just to see if that was the issue (there are all kinds of thoughts on this if you can or can't run 24's without adjusting the computer but Ford says the computer can compensate for up to a 30% difference on a stock tune after driving for a ways). After installing a tune for the 24 lb. injectors I went back to the dyno yesterday in the rain and 40 degree weather just to pull another 202 hp this time at 11:1 fuel ratio. Not only that but as soon as we got a little heat in the engine (still way below thermostat opening) the car would die right after starting. It died two times when he started it up to drive it on the rollers and two more times when he tried to start it to do the pull. I was told something else is wrong because even if I had a way to change the ratio from 11:1 to 12.5:1 I would not gain 50 hp (I was told maybe 15). So whatever took the engine out last year is still wrong and it's not the injectors as I had assumed. I have to find someone (hopefully in the Central Texas area) that can data-log the car and help me figure this out. I have too much money in the engine to mess it up again. I'm at my wits end! You guys have fun and maybe I will see you at Cresson. I'm just sick about it as I was looking forward to hanging out with you guys and racing this weekend.

JJ
    Jerry give Chris Car Doc in Humble a call. He’s pretty knowledgeable and might at least point you in the right direction or might be worth bringing your car to him.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Dang Jerry, so sorry to hear about the engine issues. That is the most frustrating thing about racing and can definitely change your mood on all of it. I hope you can find someone that can get it diagnosed and back to running great!!
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Also, a couple of updates for the event. The welcome letter states the Annual race car inspection is $20 so please bring that to get your 2020 Tech sticker.

I have been emailing Aldrin who handles the contingencies for NASA since the banquet last month. He is working with Toyo to finalize the decal placement for Mustangs and will hopefully be emailing me today to final decision on location placement for the front and back of the car. The side placement is set above the front tires but the front / back placement is being reviewed to possibly be moved from the bumpers to the hood and hatch/decklid area.

Worst case, we might need to swap some stickers around on Friday but I'm sure NASA will have plenty of them.
    -Michael Mosty
    Director - TX Region

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post

JJ
    I agree that correcting the O2 ratios isn't going to pickup 50 hp. The O2s aren't very far off of what they should be, especially considering the car doesn't have any learned corrections from driving around in traffic with a non-stock set of injectors. That means that the computer is doing what it's supposed to do by adding the correct amount of fuel for the air it's getting. This sounds like an air restriction to me, I had a similar issue two years ago and couldn't figure it out for the life of me. After I gave up Craig Wiseman found a pound of rubber clogging my MAF and intake tube.

Looking at the fuel trims should give you an indication as well. If the fuel is pulled way back (negative), you're not getting as much air as you should be. If they're very positive, you've got a fueling issue (injectors, pressure, flow, etc). A little negative, maybe -2ish, is common at idle on modern engines.

- Josh

Could it be that the timing isn't advancing properly?
    Last edited by Sook; 01-23-2020 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Timing?
    CMC #50

Aldrin confirmed the Toyo Placement to be on the hatch / decklid in the middle of the vertical rear section. Just cut the decal to be on either side of the trunk keylock.
    -Michael Mosty
    Director - TX Region

Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    aldrin confirmed the toyo placement to be on the hatch / decklid in the middle of the vertical rear section. Just cut the decal to be on either side of the trunk keylock.
    So it'll be

TOYOTIRES
    Last edited by Sook; 01-23-2020 at 01:44 PM.
    CMC #50

So not where the website specified the decals to be?

So the guy that shot all the footage to this YouTube viral flick is coming to hang out with us and get some drone footage. Should be a great inclusion to our 2020 video
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IsalU8WIhf0