Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2020 Season Opener - MSR-H **Time to Sign-Up**

Quote Originally Posted by Trublu View Post
    So the guy that shot all the footage to this YouTube viral flick is coming to hang out with us and get some drone footage. Should be a great inclusion to our 2020 video
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IsalU8WIhf0
    We've had some issues with drones at the track in the past, MSR Houston has a note about it on the website. https://msrhouston.com/about/faqs/

I think it's a do it and ask forgiveness situation.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Sorry to hear all his Jerry, that’s a damn shame.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    I agree that correcting the O2 ratios isn't going to pickup 50 hp. The O2s aren't very far off of what they should be, especially considering the car doesn't have any learned corrections from driving around in traffic with a non-stock set of injectors. That means that the computer is doing what it's supposed to do by adding the correct amount of fuel for the air it's getting. This sounds like an air restriction to me, I had a similar issue two years ago and couldn't figure it out for the life of me. After I gave up Craig Wiseman found a pound of rubber clogging my MAF and intake tube.

Looking at the fuel trims should give you an indication as well. If the fuel is pulled way back (negative), you're not getting as much air as you should be. If they're very positive, you've got a fueling issue (injectors, pressure, flow, etc). A little negative, maybe -2ish, is common at idle on modern engines.

- Josh

Could it be that the timing isn't advancing properly?
    Thanks Sook. I'm going to check the intake tube and MAF area on Sunday. I have an appointment to get the car on a dyno to data-log it tue. afternoon.

This all started last year at Cresson. If the timing is not right something is pulling it as it is not something I screw with. We can run an adjustable timing system but it's not worth it. The car should be getting whatever the computer calls for but I agree it's not just fuel it has to be timing also. While I was sitting there at idle I saw the long term fuel trim on the hand held showed 1. whatever the hell that means. You guys have fun.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    Well guys I'm sorry to say this but I'm out for this weekend. After losing the engine due to fuel wash last season starting at Cresson and ending at Hallett I had the lower end rebuilt and the heads cleaned up. I had sent the 21 lb. injectors to Houston to get them cleaned and they said two were stuck open but they were good to go after they cleaned them. When I started the engine for the first time it had two dead holes. I did a compression and everything was good. I changed the plugs and coil packs but still had two dead holes. Turned out to be two of the injectors were not firing. I installed two old 19 lb'ers in the place of the two dead 21's and it ran smooth. So I purchased a new set of 24 lb. injectors. 19 lb. injectors are at 85% duty cycle at 258 hp and so I did not want that and there are no 21 lb. injectors available new (just more used E-bay crap). I went to the dyno on Monday and made 202 hp at 10:1. I had a guy send me a tune that was set for 24 lb. injectors even though I know I can't run it just to see if that was the issue (there are all kinds of thoughts on this if you can or can't run 24's without adjusting the computer but Ford says the computer can compensate for up to a 30% difference on a stock tune after driving for a ways). After installing a tune for the 24 lb. injectors I went back to the dyno yesterday in the rain and 40 degree weather just to pull another 202 hp this time at 11:1 fuel ratio. Not only that but as soon as we got a little heat in the engine (still way below thermostat opening) the car would die right after starting. It died two times when he started it up to drive it on the rollers and two more times when he tried to start it to do the pull. I was told something else is wrong because even if I had a way to change the ratio from 11:1 to 12.5:1 I would not gain 50 hp (I was told maybe 15). So whatever took the engine out last year is still wrong and it's not the injectors as I had assumed. I have to find someone (hopefully in the Central Texas area) that can data-log the car and help me figure this out. I have too much money in the engine to mess it up again. I'm at my wits end! You guys have fun and maybe I will see you at Cresson. I'm just sick about it as I was looking forward to hanging out with you guys and racing this weekend.

JJ
    MAF will skew fuel and timing together. I'd start there.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Could be worth going nuclear with a new harness and a fresh refurb ecu

These factory harnesses get brittle and cause issues all the time as the the computers

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    Could be worth going nuclear with a new harness and a fresh refurb ecu

These factory harnesses get brittle and cause issues all the time as the the computers
    My harness is in good shape. Now it could have a bad area but I am not aware of it. The ecu….? Who knows.

JJ

Blog Entries
    Check this guy out right down the road from you. LS guy but has a Mustang in the shop on website but more stuff on FB. Should have HP Tuners and be able to check it on the trailer.

https://biddlemotorsports.com/
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    Thanks Sook. I'm going to check the intake tube and MAF area on Sunday. I have an appointment to get the car on a dyno to data-log it tue. afternoon.

This all started last year at Cresson. If the timing is not right something is pulling it as it is not something I screw with. We can run an adjustable timing system but it's not worth it. The car should be getting whatever the computer calls for but I agree it's not just fuel it has to be timing also. While I was sitting there at idle I saw the long term fuel trim on the hand held showed 1. whatever the hell that means. You guys have fun.

JJ
    Jerry,
    Ask Dave or Sean about what happens when the coolant temp sensor wire gets damaged and starts
    going in and out, telling the computer that the coolant temp is either 190 degrees or -37 degrees
    a couple dozen times in the space of 15 seconds.
    --
    ------__o
    -----_\ <,_
    ----(_)/ (_)
    Laissez les bons temps rouler

Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    Check this guy out right down the road from you. LS guy but has a Mustang in the shop on website but more stuff on FB. Should have HP Tuners and be able to check it on the trailer.

https://biddlemotorsports.com/
    Sorry I am just now seeing this Jerry. Gearheads in Arlington/Mansfield is who you want to take it to. Guy knows his shit and can diagnose electrical stuff. Travis Franklin is a tuning master with the 4.6 engine. Tuned mine and a Twin turbo car I built for a local...actually inherited and finished for a local that had a bad engine harness connector. Travis figured it out in a matter of minutes with his diagnostic equipment. Repinned the connector with stuff from the row of junk cars along the fence and away the car went to make 800rwhp on the stock ECU.

Tell him your issues and allow him to get mad...but he will figure it out. Pay him well. Most of these shops that know their shit don't like working on other people's projects to make them work right BUT, they will for the right price.
    Ah, fugg it.

Blog Entries
    Okay this is way out there but last year the first event I made was Cresson. I had bought and installed a new CAI and on Friday before the event I got the car dynoed. It was not making big power (lower compression than my previous engines) but it was not all that bad. When others saw the CAI they said I could not run it because the filter sits in the fender well. I took a hacksaw and cut the pipe and pushed the filter on right before the MAF inside the engine bay. I can't remember for sure but it may be that after cutting the intake tube is when this all started. Thoughts?

JJ