Thread: Comp License - What's needed and involved?

Member Rookie

Comp License - What's needed and involved?

I'd like to understand what all is required and involved to get a comp license. I'm hoping I can work on a license at MSR this coming weekend (if the car gets finished). Last year I spent my time getting aquatinted with the car and getting my comfort level back up on track, so I'm pretty sure I'm ready but is there a formal signoff before eval? What is needed from the driver and the car to get a license? What is involved with the actual evaluation over the weekend as far as basic schedule and such? Any insight is appreciated.

Steve

I think Jander is running comp school, so a plastic bottle of tequila should cover your comp license.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Seriously though, it's not bad. Section 13 in the CCR gives you a high level overview. https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com....0.pdf#page=47.

The car needs to have all the required safety gear, and you need a physical on file with NASA - the physical catches some people out. When I did it a few years ago at TWS (RIP), we had a bunch of class room sessions with a written exam at the end of the day. We also ran drills on track, starts, side by side driving, coordinated passing. It isn't hard on the car at all.

The physical is slightly different from a routine checkup, form here: https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com...v__3-19-18.pdf

Provisional License Application: https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com...e_app.v1.2.pdf
    Last edited by Sook; 01-20-2020 at 01:28 PM.
    CMC #50

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    I think Jander is running comp school, so a plastic bottle of tequila should cover your comp license.

- Josh
    Don’t event try with anything in glass — he’s simple like that.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Rookie
    I did comp school at TMS last year. So everything Josh said is exactly what we did. Only prerequisite was hpde 4 prior to comp school. We did 3 track sessions instead of 4 due to all the classroom stuff we had to go over. On track was warm up, passing drills and then starts and mock race with other cars on track. Then once your signed off sat and sun is racing in class. I hope you make it out.
    Mike
    No more race car

Member Rookie
    Thanks for the feedback. Will approved me to take the class yesterday and I submitted medical forms today.... Now I just need the car done.. Hoping I make it out.

Member Rookie
    Well I need 2 more days to get the new engine setup right in the car so I'm out for the whole weekend. Hopefully there is a comp class offered later this year so I can join you guys, I don't see anything currently on the schedule.

Oh man, that sucks. Austin isn’t too far away, come down and watch some races and have a few beers Saturday night.
    Al Fernandez