Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another CMC car soon to be ready to join the mix

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CWiseman View Post
    The OEM CAM is just wrong for 260/310. If it does have a good ratio I'd bet it has a cheater CAM in it.

Craig W.
    Quote Originally Posted by CWiseman View Post
    Currently using a 36mm restrictor. unrestricted it is like 289 HP.
    And your betting Steve's has a cheater cam in it? It's comments like these that give people the false illusion that the LT doesn't have excellent (or better) numbers than the LS. I too have fallen into believing this folklore until only after I bought Steve's car and started looking at the dyno graph. Then I started remembering some other data that I pulled up which surprised me.

I'll start way back from the beginning as my car was the test bed for restricting the LS down at the start of CMC2 running against two LT1's. I was the one who showed it could be restricted down even further without any issues. Al Fernandez then took my LS dyno and chart plotted it against LT1's at Eagles Canyon in his motor home and showed they were virtually identical throughout the entire rpm range.

I have also seen the data used to allow the 5.3 which took three cars to the dyno on the same day to compare a 5.7 LS, 5.3 LS, and 5.7 LT1. There was generally less than a 1% difference between all three all the way across the dyno run and guess which one had the best HP and tq along with the best avg hp and tq from 3,000-5,700????

The LT1 yes T as in Tom as it did 259.82/307.03. The only place the LS had better torque was from 2,300 -3,000 rpm which isn't really use able but oh do we hear how the LT peaks so low. Then again at 5,100 the LS started having a 1 hp and tq advantage which was still only a 3 hp/2 tq advantage at 5,600. But keep in mind the LT had areas under the curve where it was beating them by 3-5 on both hp and tq yet all we hear is how the LT dies at 5,000. I just wonder how many of them have driven a restricted LS?

From 3,000 - 5,700 the LT averaged 241.87/296.24 to 239.74/292.76 for the LS.

So the next time someone says the LT doesn't have good numbers please refer them to this data. There are other LT cars out there with good numbers as well.

Now I'm very curious if anyone has put on the Torquehead ignition system on an LT1 as it wouldn't surprise me if the better ignition system doesn't help the numbers above 5,500. Still keeping in mind it's only a few better but doesn't make up for the better numbers the LT puts down between 3,000-5,500 as the LS falls on it's face in restricted form above 5,500 as well.

And everyone knows races aren't won and lost based on a couple of hp/tq differences.

The LT1 is Dead, Long Live the LT1. (the reason the LT is being replaced is the problems with it not running perfect all the time due to the opti which some have figured out how to seal it off from moisture or now you can add the Torquehead system. Plus the fact that if you blow up a LS for $750 at any salvage yard in America you have a complete engine. Much different than the $4,000 spent on the LT1 I now own)
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    They put the LT in the barges too, I can usually find one at the pull and pay. Only diff was cam and heads, but they can be done up good and cheap. I rebuilt my current motor back in 2015 with a Craigslist crank and eBay pistons/rods, all stock pullouts. The LS swap itself is the expensive part.
    RM CMC Director

Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    The LT1 is Dead, Long Live the LT1. (the reason the LT is being replaced is the problems with it not running perfect all the time due to the opti which some have figured out how to seal it off from moisture or now you can add the Torquehead system. Plus the fact that if you blow up a LS for $750 at any salvage yard in America you have a complete engine. Much different than the $4,000 spent on the LT1 I now own)
    Wait a minute? Since when can we convert to a Torquehead ignition system?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Since we said so the most recent RCR session. Get with Michael Mostly before you do though, we need to nail down a spec tune and figure out how to regulate it and officially incorporate it into the rules this next RCR season.
    RM CMC Director

Blog Entries
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

I’m confused...Bryan, why did you get molders car? I mean, what’s wrong with your LS car?
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Rookie
    Can you have too many race cars?
    Mike
    No more race car

Quote Originally Posted by centerville View Post
    Can you have too many race cars?
    Yes...it's a real problem I don't wish on anyone.
    Ah, fugg it.

Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    Since we said so the most recent RCR session. Get with Michael Mostly before you do though, we need to nail down a spec tune and figure out how to regulate it and officially incorporate it into the rules this next RCR season.
    So when you guys figure out that a "spec tune" cannot be enforced, will you pull the torqhead from the allowable ignition systems? Asking for a friend with his finger on the "buy it now" button...
    Ah, fugg it.

Blog Entries
    Been the same for all the cars since the beginning. Meaning it’s not an issue.

Al-come to cresson and I’ll discuss.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24