Thread: 200 TW Tire Sub Class Interest

Hybrid View

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries

200 TW Tire Sub Class Interest

Wanted to get this out to everyone. Have spoken to a few who haven't been racing, have been racing sporadically, or racing all the time and seems there is some interest in more experimentation with running a longer lasting tire with less drop off. Seeing as there are several events upcoming and Discount Tire will be having a sale this weekend I wanted to let everyone know and if you have interest to please PM, call, or text me.

Prefer not to make this into a big arguing thread but if interested feel free to reply Interested and I could gather everyone on an email string? If you have suggestions/experience about which tire to run that is constructive please share as the goal is to find a tire that doesn't fall off after multiple events. This is to try and continue what seems to be a successful test by Sook/Alford/Records last year with the Falken 615+ which Spec Vette runs.

The goal would be to gather enough who would be interested in trying to run a longer lasting tire to either pick a tire or pick a few to experiment with. If you still want to run the RR for the money races that's cool as you could use this in non Toyo races, warmup, practice, etc. Plan would be to find out how many would do this and go to Will to follow the same formula Time Trial has done. With more than three people running I'll donate some sort of trophy and could look for a sponsor/donations. I see this as an excellent way to bring new drivers into the class who are concerned with the largest cost of running a car being the RR.

Currently I'm targeting to order a set of Falken Azenis RT 615+ from Discount Tire this weekend during their Presidents Day Sale if you use their card I expect a 10-15% savings. In the interest of making this experiment about helping racers budgets the 255/40/17 tire is $150 each so I'm thinking a full set could be had for $510-540. The 275 is $201.

Could also reach out to Phil's Tire as they show a few Federal and Nankangs that are $158-185 per tire.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    A couple of questions:
    What results were seen from last years testing that has individuals wanting to do more experimentation?
    Are those that want to do more experimentation willing to share those feelings for all of us to understand the reasoning?
    Also, how do you see this being a benefit to CMC?
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    A couple of questions:
    What results were seen from last years testing that has individuals wanting to do more experimentation?
    Are those that want to do more experimentation willing to share those feelings for all of us to understand the reasoning?
    Also, how do you see this being a benefit to CMC?
    Are you actually interested? If you are then just say your interested or send me a PM, email, text, call, etc. I'll gather everyone who is interested together to discuss further and dive deeper into your questions to keep the arguing off the board as past discussions make it pretty clear who those are that are against a different option. This is the same issue our close relative A Sedan has been struggling with for years and I'm trying to give people another option as opposed to not racing at all or suffering a similar fate.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    Are you actually interested? If you are then just say your interested or send me a PM, email, text, call, etc. I'll gather everyone who is interested together to discuss further and dive deeper into your questions to keep the arguing off the board as past discussions make it pretty clear who those are that are against a different option. This is the same issue our close relative A Sedan has been struggling with for years and I'm trying to give people another option as opposed to not racing at all or suffering a similar fate.
    I am not interested in a street tire option, I am however interested in keeping the CMC group together and growing as much as possible. I just don't agree this is the way but am always open to all options.

I also feel like this has absolutely nothing to do with the issues A Sedan has been struggling with. Carbs, 16" wheels, and $10k engines is what was hurting them, not tires considering we are running a similar tire to 95% of the other race groups in NASA.

Just my opinion though.
    -Michael Mosty
    Director - TX Region

Blog Entries
    Again. Let’s keep the disagreement out if this thread and just let those interested to respond ‘Interested’ or they can reach out to me directly.
    If you have a suggestion please just send it to me privately as well.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

If you want to have private conversations with those that respond as "Interested", you are free to do that.

It is not fair to ask those with a different opinion than you to not post on this open forum.
    -Michael Mosty
    Director - TX Region