Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 gen addictions

Senior Member Grass-Passer

4 gen addictions

Another chassis??
    Al Fernandez

Going to do a fresh build? What shade of orange is it going to be?

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Chassis parts, tried to get a complete front end from junkyard they wanted more money than we purchased this whole car. I have a friend who has access to a body shop and a frame straightener and he said he could straighten the car out! so we just need some internal panels to cut the welds out and weld into the new car so the 88.... (soon to be 39 again) should be back on track shortly!

You ain’t got a hair on your ass if you don’t clip the car
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    I have many hairs of the ass

Never clipped my car

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    Chassis parts, tried to get a complete front end from junkyard they wanted more money than we purchased this whole car. I have a friend who has access to a body shop and a frame straightener and he said he could straighten the car out! so we just need some internal panels to cut the welds out and weld into the new car so the 88.... (soon to be 39 again) should be back on track shortly!
    Glad to hear! Congrats on the donor find.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    With a Sean pro body work friend willing to help... If you don't have a Sean, you really should get one. The 88/39a spent Saturday morning on the frame machine. We didn't ever bother measuring to start because it was obvious, i.e. the engine and radiator support were twisted about 5 degree clockwise when viewed from the front.

Bolted the thing down using the pinch welds at the four corners and make the first big pull on the passenger frame rail to move stuff to the right and down. I think this thing uses 50 ton rams so the ENTIRE front end of the car looked like it was made of plastic. Pull/release. Pull/release. Pull/release. Creak. Moan.

Now that we had something that looked like a car, we broke out the measuring tool: https://car-o-liner.com/en/products/...uring-systems/

Using this measurement head and a diagram on the screen, you could pick multiple points to measure too and find where errors remained. At the big pull the right frame rail was still about 3/4" too high and nearly 1" "into" the firewall. We added a tie down on the rear frame rail to allow a combo pull on the frame rail - one directly to the front, and another one midway on the rail pulling straight out. Pull/release/repeat.

The biggest issue was getting the left frame rail, which was a little over 1/2" a low pushed up with a ram. It started to move then pushed both from pinchweld mounts out of the clamps. Loosen/adjust/tighten/center/measure.

Then took a couple of measurements on the top of the shock towers and called it racecar close.

This week plan is to get the drivetrain out to be able to get better access to the upper shock mount bodywork and replace that with the one we pulled out of the donor.

More to come.
    Last edited by Fbody383; 03-09-2020 at 04:55 PM. Reason: 'cause
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    With a Sean pro body work friend willing to help... If you don't have a Sean, you really should get one. The 88/39a spent Saturday morning on the frame machine. We didn't ever bother measuring to start because it was obvious, i.e. the engine and radiator support were twisted about 5 degree clockwise when viewed from the front.

Bolted the thing down using the pinch welds at the four corners and make the first big pull on the passenger frame rail to move stuff to the right and down. I think this thing uses 50 ton rams so the ENTIRE front end of the car looked like it was made of plastic. Pull/release. Pull/release. Pull/release. Creak. Moan.

Now that we had something that looked like a car, we broke out the measuring tool: https://car-o-liner.com/en/products/...uring-systems/

Using this measurement head and a diagram on the screen, you could pick multiple points to measure too and find where errors remained. At the big pull the right frame rail was still about 3/4" too high and nearly 1" "into" the firewall. We added a tie down on the rear frame rail to allow a combo pull on the frame rail - one directly to the front, and another one midway on the rail pulling straight out. Pull/release/repeat.

The biggest issue was getting the left frame rail, which was a little over 1/2" a low pushed up with a ram. It started to move then pushed both from pinchweld mounts out of the clamps. Loosen/adjust/tighten/center/measure.

Then took a couple of measurements on the top of the shock towers and called it racecar close.

This week plan is to get the drivetrain out to be able to get better access to the upper shock mount bodywork and replace that with the one we pulled out of the donor.

More to come.
    Great to hear Dave. Nice work boys

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Wow, nice work indeed! Race car close may be better than OE close :-D
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net