Thread: Going dirt racing for 2020

Hybrid View

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar

Going dirt racing for 2020

It's not been a secret, but I decided to go dirt racing in 2020 in the USRA Factory Stock class. I have a limited amount of time with Jaycie playing sports and going off to college in the fall and playing college volleyball, so I decided to buy a dirt car to race locally when time allows. Since there is a race every weekend from Mid-February through mid November somewhere within a 1-2 hour drive that supports these cars and the local track is just 20 minutes away, it is easier to find a date that fits my schedule.

I am not looking to run up front since I am too cheap to spend what it costs. This racing is similar to Spec Miata... pretty cheap to get in and fairly inexpensive to keep running as long as mid pack is acceptable. Lots of money can be spent getting that extra horsepower and weight distribution just right.

Good news is that a full set of tires cost $60 and outside of damage will last a season.

Thanks to Matt and Misty for letting me drive their car in the WRL last year.. was a blast and really fueled the fire to go racing. Thanks to Craig Wiseman for the nice offer to share some driving in his car.

I am probably not done road racing though.. maybe after Jaycie graduates college and I'll look again.

It's not quite complete with all the graphics, but almost done. Trying to be ready for March 14th local track opening.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Very cool!
    My sister-in-law just moved to Paris recently. I would love to come watch you race possibly even help pit if you need it? Please send me the dates that you’re going to race.
    Sean

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Very cool James.

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    Very cool!
    My sister-in-law just moved to Paris recently. I would love to come watch you race possibly even help pit if you need it? Please send me the dates that you’re going to race.
    Sean
    I gotta ask.. what brought her to Paris?

I haven't mapped out a schedule yet, but trying to make March 14 and 21 locally then look more at the schedule. I am more likely going to get to make some early races in the year, then probably none during the summer, then maybe a few in the fall.

I hope to make a play day before the March 14th race to work out bugs in the car and see if I still remember how to turn left.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Car looks shiny. I bet it won't be after the first weekend.
    RM CMC Director

Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    Car looks shiny. I bet it won't be after the first weekend.
    They don't last too long looking good and depends a lot on how small the corners are at different tracks.

The new bodies are all aluminum sheet metal though, so much easier to beat out the dents and replace when they get too bad.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    They were looking for a big house with a certain size piece of land and that’s where they ended up.

Very cool James! Car looks great
    Al Fernandez