Thread: CMC East of the Mississippi?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby

CMC East of the Mississippi?

I'm considering taking Glenn's old CMC car to VIR for the "formerly Hyperfest" weekend and was curious if there is an actual CMC turnout in that part of the country. I want to run VIR and the CMC car is the only running racecar we have at the moment. I tried going to the NASA forums and the CMC section appears to be only for rules discussions and is otherwise dead.

Any ideas how I can do some internet research ahead of time to figure out if there will be a field to play with or if I'll just be lumped as a field of 1 at the back of the Spec E30 field? The event registration page is blank...

It was originally my intent to run a local event and then go to Miller to play this year but since NASA decided to just cancel everything I'm trying to see what else I can do this year to go have fun.

Thanks,
    Ah, fugg it.

As with your region.....NASA in the Mid Atlantic is all screwed up due to shut-downs. Normally CMC would have a field of 10-12 cars at Hyperfest.

I live in VA and run CMC at VIR alot! Hyperfest is usually a big event for us but our group is discussing skipping it (since Hyperfest won't happen) and as a group tow up to Pittsburgh the week before VIR to run with the Great Lakes group where they usually have 8-10 cars. A group of us towed to Mid-Ohio last month and get along well with the CMC field up there. If we all go to Pitt then the CMC turnout at Hyperfest will be very small.

As for car count, our regular events have at least 5-6 cars but usually closer to 10. There are roughly 20 cars in region but a few that rarely come out anymore and always someone that can't make an event.

I can keep you posted since this will be discussed this weekend at a Mid Atlantic race in W. VA where we'll have 13 cars including a rookie who will be getting his license. (and 2 others that "might" make it but unknown at the moment)

Feel free to reach out, I'll be happy to answer any questions or help out however I can.

Russ C.
    CMC #720
    Last edited by t500hps; 06-22-2020 at 09:49 PM.

FWIW: There are basically no CMC cars in the S. East or the N. East regions.

Quote Originally Posted by t500hps View Post
    (since Hyperfest won't happen)
    Hi Russ!

I'm a bit confused. While portions of the event are cancelled (drifting, ride alongs, vendor row, etc), the RACING part of the event is still on. NASA races, NASA TT as well as the GRM UTCC portion. I've spoken with the nasa folks a few times since we are looking at hauling a pair of cars there.

thanks,

Costas
    cars and such...

Doh...
    Should have attached the text of the post. Here it is:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To all our NASA Brothers and Sisters In Speed,

The Racing, HPDE, Time Trial and Ultimate Track Car Challenge parts of HyperFest WILL be taking place as normal so YOU get to play on track!!

HOWEVER...

Unfortunately COVID-19 is not letting us get out of the pits for 2020 and while NASA driver participants and crew will be allowed, we cannot open the event to spectators.

This truly breaks my heart to the point where I have a hard time writing this message.

I don’t quit. EVER…..

But I have to consider the health and safety of all of us. HyperFest has more things happening in one place than any other motorsports event in the country. The richness of HyperFest is our greatest asset but also a great liability for the current environment of uncertainty in which we find ourselves. While July 31-August 2 is still over 6 weeks away, at this moment the Commonwealth of Virginia is not allowing large scale events and has given us no indication as to when that may change. We feel the most fair thing for everyone involved is to pull the plug now so that vacation and travel plans can be amended or canceled without detriment to those planning to attend.

The following activities WILL take place on July 31-August 2 (Drivers and crew only).

NASA Road Racing
    NASA HPDE programs
    NASA Time Trial (Time Attack)
    Tire Rack Ultimate Track Car Challenge
    Rally Cross
    Camping for drivers and crew

The following activities will not take place:

HyperDrives
    Race Car Rides
    Rally Rides
    Drift Ride Alongs
    Spectator Camping
    Concert
    Vendor Midway
    Off Road Ride Alongs
    Off Road Trail Rides
    Helicopter Rides
    U.S. Drift Bash
    Virginia Lawn Mower Racing Association races
    XForce Burnout and Sound Off
    Koni Powerwheels Attack by Red Line Oil

For 18 years HyperFest has run continuously and while there will be an asterisk next to the 19th year I commit to you that our 20th will be a party not to be missed.

Stay safe. Stay fast!

Peace,

Chris Cobetto
    Tom Beverly is offline Report Post

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++

Costas
    cars and such...

Quote Originally Posted by Shortcutsleeping View Post
    Hi Russ!

I'm a bit confused. While portions of the event are cancelled (drifting, ride alongs, vendor row, etc), the RACING part of the event is still on. NASA races, NASA TT as well as the GRM UTCC portion. I've spoken with the nasa folks a few times since we are looking at hauling a pair of cars there.

thanks,

Costas
    cars and such...
    You've likely spoken with Chris Cobetto, NASA MA director. Chris is a friend who has been to my house many times (we live 10 min apart).

You are correct in that the racing portion of the event will still happen and it will be very much like any other NASA MA weekend (except for the addition of the UTCC). However if you've never been Hyperfest it is HUGE. There were 30,000 spectators there last year! The thrill of that event has dropped significantly for us now.

Alot of what is driving the local CMC groups discussion around Pitt is simply the thrill of running with another entire field of equal cars. Pitt was on our calendar at the beginning of the year as an actual combined GL/MA event that would have 20+ CMC cars. Even after that joint venture was cancelled there were no conflicts with our MA schedule. Then Hyperfest (now just a regular MA event) was re-scheduled and it falls right behind the weekend we were all going to Pitt. As a group we'd love to do both but back-to-back weekends with 500 mile tows means that's not likely. ALL other classes will be at VIR for the Jul-Aug event but CMC might be absent.

Don't change/make your plans yet if a CMC field is a big factor. As a group we want to race together and will either all go to Pitt......or all go to VIR. (that decision will be made very soon)
    Last edited by t500hps; 06-23-2020 at 02:19 PM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by t500hps View Post

Don't change/make your plans yet if a CMC field is a big factor. As a group we want to race together and will either all go to Pitt......or all go to VIR. (that decision will be made very soon)
    VIR is one of my bucket list tracks. I tried to make the UTCC a couple years ago when I still had my Mustang but work got busy about 4 weeks prior and I just could not make it. Things right now are pretty slow, the last 9 months have sucked and we need a vacation. How soon would your crew know about VIR? I need to make a decision to go probably by July 4/5 so I can make up my mind. COTA event is an easy button and in my backyard. VIR is a 1300 mile haul one way.

The real question on my mind is how much Covid weight can I lose in 30 days?! LOL!
    Ah, fugg it.

Quote Originally Posted by AI#97 View Post
    VIR is one of my bucket list tracks. I tried to make the UTCC a couple years ago when I still had my Mustang but work got busy about 4 weeks prior and I just could not make it. Things right now are pretty slow, the last 9 months have sucked and we need a vacation. How soon would your crew know about VIR? I need to make a decision to go probably by July 4/5 so I can make up my mind. COTA event is an easy button and in my backyard. VIR is a 1300 mile haul one way.

The real question on my mind is how much Covid weight can I lose in 30 days?! LOL!
    VIR is an absolute wonderful track and if you ever get out here make sure you let us know. We'll treat you like a red-headed step-child while we do everything we can to help you learn the track as quickly as possible!

We have a race this weekend with 13+ cars (and 2 maybes) and I intend to bring up VIR vs Pitt for discussion.......I'll return here and let you know next week. The other option is you can come to Pittsburgh a week earlier than VIR if we all end up there. It's a surprisingly fun track where they mixed shards of granite in the asphalt. The grip is incredible.....even if it rains. The combined field would be around 20 cars and like us, they are VERY welcoming!