Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have a 8.8 housing they don't need?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Does anyone have a 8.8 housing they don't need?

The guys went to install my new gears last night and the housing is bent too bad to repair. It also tore up the T2R. So I need a good 8.8 housing and I will purchase a new T2R.

Jerry

Senior Member Grass-Passer Wade's Avatar
    Jerry, I have a spare. Unknown origin, etc. You are welcome to come get it.
    '86 Mustang Coupe - CMC2 34

Blog Entries
    I sent you a text. Great offer!

Anyone have some thoughts on welding a section of my old housing to the Fox unit Wade has? I have the welding technology but I don't know how well it would hold up.

Jerry

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Great question for Dan... is it cast steel vs. cast iron?
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    Great question for Dan... is it cast steel vs. cast iron?
    The center section is cast but the axle tubes are steel. I may look a little longer. I have already had to purchase a new T2R and a gear and bearing set. If I go with a earlier than 1999 housing I will have to purchase new axles also.

JJ

Blog Entries
    Thank you Wade for always being willing to help a fellow racer. I wish I was as willing to help others as you are. Your a good man.

I found a complete rear end out of a 2004 GT a few minutes ago for $300.00 so I will go that way so I don't have to cut and weld. I bought a new T2R this morning and the gears a few weeks ago. Now I just have to camber it and get a little toe in it. Al is going to do that for me. LOL.

Someone please tell me why the gearing on a CMC car makes so little difference. Big shock when Aaron and later Kevin were so fast using 3:27 gears. I would have thought the 3:73 or 4:10 or even higher would have made a big difference in acceleration. Bryan and I can come out of a corner and with his 4:10's and my 3:31's it's almost a dead heat. I personally like shifting less but I don't understand why that is not a huge disadvantage.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    Thank you Wade for always being willing to help a fellow racer. I wish I was as willing to help others as you are. Your a good man.

I found a complete rear end out of a 2004 GT a few minutes ago for $300.00 so I will go that way so I don't have to cut and weld. I bought a new T2R this morning and the gears a few weeks ago. Now I just have to camber it and get a little toe in it. Al is going to do that for me. LOL.

Someone please tell me why the gearing on a CMC car makes so little difference. Big shock when Aaron and later Kevin were so fast using 3:27 gears. I would have thought the 3:73 or 4:10 or even higher would have made a big difference in acceleration. Bryan and I can come out of a corner and with his 4:10's and my 3:31's it's almost a dead heat. I personally like shifting less but I don't understand why that is not a huge disadvantage.

JJ
    I was going to say, it's worth it to look for the right year housing. The gearing is going to depend on the track, I did well with 3.31's, no 4-5 shift at TWS or COTA, etc. I think the higher gears mostly help with drag racing where you can put down the power, you can cut a good amount off your 60ft with a good tire and a lot of gear to get it out of the hole.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Jerry, there are literally 1000's of those wider 99+ housings all over craigslist and the junkyard for $100-150. WAY cheaper than the time/prayer involved in modifying. Find an Austin Mustang club or FB page and dive in. I bet you find 5 by the end of the weekend.
    To hell with the rules, the guidelines and the politics....built the car to my wishes and having fun being the underdog running with the Wolves!

Blog Entries
    I could only find one. It in a 2004 GT at a junkyard. I watched CL and FB for a week and did not find anything.

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    I could only find one. It in a 2004 GT at a junkyard. I watched CL and FB for a week and did not find anything.

JJ
    I think I paid $400 for a 99-04 housing a while back, I didn’t see them as much as I thought either.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net