Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eagles Canyon - Aug 21-23

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So not a word about tis event? New track and all and not a word? Looking for a race/track report.

Jerry

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Dehydration or Quarantine??
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Dude, once it rubbers in a little... and I can find my way in the new section... it's awesome.

But not offset by some of the lack of amenities, i.e. dude in charge of the clubhouse left by 6:00 where the only shower is...

The guys that ran Friday had notes on how slick it was. My guess is a lot of people were off track at some point to some degree, and if any dust was dragged on track it was more so. Super smooth surface, curbing is nice but also slick. Still mostly good runoff but I think one of the new corner stands is potentially in the line of a big off.

We had 3 AI/7 CMC so they mixed in a bunch of ST cars, which I thought was fine. Apparently ST6 didn't think so. They don't like standing starts, which is fine. But they didn't even want to grid for R1 by class, they wanted it gridded by qual time regardless of class.

On the Saturday invert, we were into the back of the ST cars pretty quickly. Some of us then determined they don't like to race as much as just TT in a race group. I didn't have much issue with that group, even with some incidental side to side contact with a Miata. But apparently they did and ST6 cars (mostly RX7s, is that right?) asked Marshall Saturday night to be moved to Blitz. Even as the Sunday drivers meeting (MANDATORY!!!) the ST/SU guys called the inverts "super sketchy." Good thing they only do sprint races and never have to pass any slower cars.

I digress... I thought the track was fantastic. I found parts of the new section fast, challenging, and a little intimidating at 10/10ths but that could be setup and old tires on the car.

Looking forward to going back when the highs are not quite so high.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Agreed with what Dave said, the track is perfectly smooth but it definitely needs to rubber in a ton!! On Sunday I was trying a 4 lb split front / rear just to try and get the front to grab. It made the car a handful the first 3 laps or so and then came on better. It was pretty darn hot but thankfully there were enough tents and fans to keep everyone relatively cool. The good news is I didn't hear of anyone having brake issues in the hear and the hottest my car ever got was about 230 when running right behind Daniel. In clean air it ran about 205.

John got the track record with a 2:13.70
    I did a 2:14.03
    Steve a 2:14.59
    Daniel a 2:14.67
    Dave a 2:16.45
    Gary a 2:16.55
    Drew a 2:20.93. Drew shaved 5 seconds off his time from the beginning of the event and is getting closer to getting the car sorted out.

Wait, who is this Steve guy that ran a 2:14???????
    He is our Rookie in the lime green 3rd gen Camaro that completed Comp School and all 4 races successfully this weekend!!! Welcome to the group Steve, that is one heck of a way to make a statement at your first race event!!
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    So. . . videos?
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2Tg...ature=youtu.be

Still chasing some power issues... just got dragged every straight. Tires from 16 with "some" heat cycles... but still a super time. Track will be super fun when it gets sticky. Not sure why the ST6 guys bailed on us. Yes, the 88 Miata bumped me on the short chute after the back straight - he was cool about it.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    ECR is a friggen blast! Surface is almost perfectly smooth and the track has a fantastic flow. I spent the weekend able to get out front then having the car go away and getting passed by Mosty. Interestingly, this was one of those surfaces where new tires really didn’t make a huge difference!. Was a blast—-can’t wait till NOLA or whatever the next event is!
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drecords View Post
    ECR is a friggen blast! Surface is almost perfectly smooth and the track has a fantastic flow. I spent the weekend able to get out front then having the car go away and getting passed by Mosty. Interestingly, this was one of those surfaces where new tires really didn’t make a huge difference!. Was a blast—-can’t wait till NOLA or whatever the next event is!

Your car is looking snazzier than I remember.
    RM CMC Director