Thread: Rookie mistake...................VIDEO

Rookie mistake...................VIDEO

For our last race of the year (this past weekend) we had a smaller field and decided to do a rare inverted start. I started next to last and my footage is for those that might find themselves further ahead of a pack than you might normally be........DON'T hit the brakes when you see yellow flags at T6!!!!! (lead car caused a chain reaction)

Note: You kinda have to laugh, some of my best friends already have after learning I was just fine. The car.........not so much!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zHVEBUuMfU

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Dang, that sucks to see and glad you are ok!! Shows how weak the fronts of these cars are. I hope the repairs aren’t too crazy.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

On top of body panels the windshield and roof are damaged. Radiator support AND end of frame rails crushed. Radiator, oil cooler, PS bottle all crushed. Rear support was left on the track and rear tub pushed in......gas tank pushed into pan-hard bar bracket. A buddy owns a body shop and says we'll fix it all.

However the race the day before was EPIC!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFM6xf5_Yu8&t=26s

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    I know about that "buddy body shop" process. Good luck on the repairs... just sucks to have to do it.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    Now Im terrified I could cause this in the future being a rook still in HPDE training. Can I apologize now for all my future goofs?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
    Now Im terrified I could cause this in the future being a rook still in HPDE training. Can I apologize now for all my future goofs?
    Just about any mistake you can pull off the rest of us have already made. Don't worry about it just do your best.

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
    I don't race in TX but if your group is anything like ours, they will bust your balls un-mercifully...........while doing everything they can to fix everyone's cars!

As shadowbolt states, you're not likely to make a mistake that others haven't already made.

Here's 3 standing starts our group screwed up a couple years ago.....back-to-back-back race weekends!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3KdJWeMT_M

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Holy cow, what happened in the first two standing starts? The third one is pretty obvious and I can see how that would warrant being made fun of forever!!
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    Holy cow, what happened in the first two standing starts? The third one is pretty obvious and I can see how that would warrant being made fun of forever!!

The first one was multiple groups doing standing starts. I roll up on pole and wait for the group in front of us to go. When a couple drivers screwed up and stepped out of line the flagger didn't realize we were a seperate group and was frantically waving the flag wondering why none of us took off. A faster driver that missed qualifying (starting last) said screw it and took off. The flagger actually came over that night to apologize and we all just laughed thinking the whole thing was funny as crap.

The second is a driver that has since retired.......about 5 year later than he should have. He swore til the end that he saw the flagger move although NONE of the rest of us saw that.

The 3rd was a driver that also runs SCCA. Said he forgot we were doing a standing start.....but admitted he would have blown a rolling start too since he simply wasn't paying attention.

....we still laugh about these!