Thread: Tremec TKX

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar

Tremec TKX

The Tremec TKX is a new 5 speed transmission option out there for our cars. Looks like a better option than a T5 or various versions of the TKO? The new Tremec TKX isn't currently legal for CMC but meets the intent of the other transmissions that are legal. Someone would have to submit a rules change to see if they would add it to the list...

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This must be the transmission Joe told me was coming when my 600 blew up back in June at Hallett. But he could not give me any info on it or tell me exactly when it would be available. Joe said this will be a far better transmission that the TKO600 I was running but I di not wait.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    This looks to be a ground up successor to the TKO600? Only a couple hundo difference in price. Are 26 spline clutch discs easy to come by?
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Saw this today! Looks like a solid option and says it shifts easily which is something I always liked about the A5 in my car.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drecords View Post
    Saw this today! Looks like a solid option and says it shifts easily which is something I always liked about the A5 in my car.
    Gotta love the A5...
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    I like my A5 but it's not all that practical of an option anymore. Apparently there isn't enough demand to stock parts/assemblies on a continual basis. Deposits are gathered and parts are submitted for manufacturing every once and a while (like yearly). If you want one, or worse - break the one you have, you are likely screwed for many months...

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    I like my A5 but it's not all that practical of an option anymore. Apparently there isn't enough demand to stock parts/assemblies on a continual basis. Deposits are gathered and parts are submitted for manufacturing every once and a while (like yearly). If you want one, or worse - break the one you have, you are likely screwed for many months...

Richard P.
    Richard is correct. This is why I changed to the TKO600 (now 3550). I do have a .88 fifth gear for the A5 I need to sell. Try finding one of those.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post

Richard P.
    I was lucky, I guess, that when my mainshaft broke that Tony had one of the upgraded units on the shelf and I was able to just ship him the transmission for a refresh...
    Finger's crossed that it continues to perform well for you Daniel.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Finally got my TKX in to CMC #50. I was able to get an early unit with an 0.82 5th. I like the shifter feel a lot more than the TKO style shifter.

A couple of notes, I had an older 3550 in the car. The internet said it had a 31 spline output shaft, but I had a 28 spline. The new 31 spline yoke was a little but longer than the old one, so I have about 3/4" of travel into the transmission. Running it through the range of motion, seems like it's plenty for my setup.

I also had to change to a 26 spline clutch (from 10 spline). My clutch cable was always super tight before with a spec clutch, now it's pretty loose. My firewall adjuster has enough adjustment to compensate.

Getting parts has been somewhat of a PITA with supply chain issues.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    Finally got my TKX in to CMC #50. I was able to get an early unit with an 0.82 5th. I like the shifter feel a lot more than the TKO style shifter.

A couple of notes, I had an older 3550 in the car. The internet said it had a 31 spline output shaft, but I had a 28 spline. The new 31 spline yoke was a little but longer than the old one, so I have about 3/4" of travel into the transmission. Running it through the range of motion, seems like it's plenty for my setup.

I also had to change to a 26 spline clutch (from 10 spline). My clutch cable was always super tight before with a spec clutch, now it's pretty loose. My firewall adjuster has enough adjustment to compensate.

Getting parts has been somewhat of a PITA with supply chain issues.

- Josh
    Hey Josh
    Cool gearbox, you might be one of the first to try the TKX. www.GUDracing.com is here to help where we can with parts mate and offering 15% off a good many products to our CMC brethren