Thread: Tremec TKX

Hybrid View

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drecords View Post
    Saw this today! Looks like a solid option and says it shifts easily which is something I always liked about the A5 in my car.
    Gotta love the A5...
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    I like my A5 but it's not all that practical of an option anymore. Apparently there isn't enough demand to stock parts/assemblies on a continual basis. Deposits are gathered and parts are submitted for manufacturing every once and a while (like yearly). If you want one, or worse - break the one you have, you are likely screwed for many months...

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    I like my A5 but it's not all that practical of an option anymore. Apparently there isn't enough demand to stock parts/assemblies on a continual basis. Deposits are gathered and parts are submitted for manufacturing every once and a while (like yearly). If you want one, or worse - break the one you have, you are likely screwed for many months...

Richard P.
    Richard is correct. This is why I changed to the TKO600 (now 3550). I do have a .88 fifth gear for the A5 I need to sell. Try finding one of those.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post

Richard P.
    I was lucky, I guess, that when my mainshaft broke that Tony had one of the upgraded units on the shelf and I was able to just ship him the transmission for a refresh...
    Finger's crossed that it continues to perform well for you Daniel.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Finally got my TKX in to CMC #50. I was able to get an early unit with an 0.82 5th. I like the shifter feel a lot more than the TKO style shifter.

A couple of notes, I had an older 3550 in the car. The internet said it had a 31 spline output shaft, but I had a 28 spline. The new 31 spline yoke was a little but longer than the old one, so I have about 3/4" of travel into the transmission. Running it through the range of motion, seems like it's plenty for my setup.

I also had to change to a 26 spline clutch (from 10 spline). My clutch cable was always super tight before with a spec clutch, now it's pretty loose. My firewall adjuster has enough adjustment to compensate.

Getting parts has been somewhat of a PITA with supply chain issues.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    Finally got my TKX in to CMC #50. I was able to get an early unit with an 0.82 5th. I like the shifter feel a lot more than the TKO style shifter.

A couple of notes, I had an older 3550 in the car. The internet said it had a 31 spline output shaft, but I had a 28 spline. The new 31 spline yoke was a little but longer than the old one, so I have about 3/4" of travel into the transmission. Running it through the range of motion, seems like it's plenty for my setup.

I also had to change to a 26 spline clutch (from 10 spline). My clutch cable was always super tight before with a spec clutch, now it's pretty loose. My firewall adjuster has enough adjustment to compensate.

Getting parts has been somewhat of a PITA with supply chain issues.

- Josh
    Hey Josh
    Cool gearbox, you might be one of the first to try the TKX. www.GUDracing.com is here to help where we can with parts mate and offering 15% off a good many products to our CMC brethren