Thread: Racecar maint items

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar

Racecar maint items

Still learning racecar maint. Finally got to the car yesterday and pulled the calipers to find one of my front rotor rings had a big crack on the inside not visible without looking at the inside surface (new rings on order). The other rotor ring was good but has slight surface cracking which I think is normal right??

Question: My Coleman brake calipers are solid mounted so i expected even wear of the pads. But they are not evenly worn yet they do have about 50% life left. Is there such a thing as resurfacing the pads level, or do you guys just buy new? Or just continue to run the pads as-is until they are done? At $235 a set, it raises these questions in my mind.

To jump start the 2021 season, I am going to knock the rust off Jan 9th at Cresson with APEX for some seat time. And hopefully join comp school at the very next opportunity (maybe late Jan at MSRH). Hoping to join in the 2021 race season.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Surface cracks are normal. My stoptechs had 2 different sized pistons which helped with pad taper, you can also flip pads to make them last.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Grass-Passer Wade's Avatar
    Dylan, You are correct that the surface cracks are normal wear. Anything that extends to the inner or outer edge is done. Anything that you can feel with a fingernail is also done. If you monitor regularly and can catch uneven wear early, you can usually flip pads from inner to outer, but I've never heard of surfacing them.
    '86 Mustang Coupe - CMC2 34

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    I have Corvette brakes and rotate pads after every weekend.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    I have Corvette brakes and rotate pads after every weekend.
    This seems like good advice. Thanks for the insight.

Looking forward to Jan 30th weekend.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee