Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ring and Pinions - what’s good?

Member Rookie

Ring and Pinions - what’s good?

Do y’all have any opinions on what’s some of the better ring and pinions brands and which you’d consider junk? I’m looking to rehear my car and figured it was worth asking

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerno View Post
    Do y’all have any opinions on what’s some of the better ring and pinions brands and which you’d consider junk? I’m looking to rehear my car and figured it was worth asking
    I’ve always used Ford performance but that probably doesn’t help you.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    What gear are you switching too? GM gears I think are preferred but would look at Motive.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    What gear are you switching too? GM gears I think are preferred but would look at Motive.
    Wanting to try a 3:73, current setup is just a little too much gear

Quote Originally Posted by Gerno View Post
    Wanting to try a 3:73, current setup is just a little too much gear
    I don't know man...I'm looking at 4.11's but I'm hampered by the 5900 limiter. you got that extra 300 rpm I would certainly punt someone for. what rear end are you running? 10 bolt? Richmond makes a solid product as does Yukon but to be honest, at our HP levels they are all good enough. It all comes down to setup when it is installed. either way, do your best to stay slow! LOL!
    Ah, fugg it.

Blog Entries
    After 6 seasons on a 3.42 I did a bunch of analysis on my gps speed/rpms/shifts on my 6100 rpm ls and came to the conclusion that 3.90 was good for all tracks except nola, cota, and tms, for which I would need a 3.23

So I will be swapping gears for those two categories of tracks

I'll need to check but hallet looked like a 4:10 track but I'm not about 3 rear ends

Haven't had a chance to try these gears out because some dude in china ate an undercooked bat and I got more busy at work
    Last edited by Pranav; 12-19-2020 at 01:10 PM.

Member Rookie
    I have a 3.90 gear now and it's too much for me at MSRH and ECR unless I can run the car to 6500 which is also out of my power band. On the long straights it puts me in 5th gear at the very end which I don't like. Feel like the 3:73 would be just a little better so I didn't have to worry about an additional shift. Though the 3:90 certainly pulls me out of a corner great, felt like my car was a rocket on the straights at ECR when I go it right. It could certainly be driver error but it feels like the car unloads a bit in 5th and make me a bit more unstable when braking.... plus I'm not the best at 5th to 4th downshift for some reason (need more practice). I'll most likely build up a new axle assembly to test so it can easily be swapped... why not, right?

Blog Entries
    Crap maybe i screwed up lol

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    Do most of ya'll not use 5th gear? With 3.42 i was having to use 5th at Hallett. Im still learning the basics, but I thought 5th was a usual gear to hit. Im also still running the TPI so that might be my issue. Gerno, are you still running the 350 carb'd?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Blog Entries
    Gerno and I are on the LS motors now which rev up to like 6100 ish; yeah for the tpi you are limited on rpm!