Thread: Ford 4.6/T-45 users..?

Ford 4.6/T-45 users..?

Is anyone running this combo? How does it work for you? What would you change? (feel free to PM me if you don't want to discuss details on an open forum)

Based on my most common track this combo with a 3.27 gear works well (geared to avoid 5th completely). I'm venturing to other tracks and am finding I'm between gears often AND need the additional pull a 3.90-4.10 would provide. When I started racing the car I was the only 4.6, now several guys are running them. They all have T-3650's and some are using a .82 5th (with 3.90/4.10).

I'm considering switching however I have a 4 weekend old built T45 AND a matching never installed spare T45 both built by the T45source.com. These have upgraded shift forks, and other parts since we discussed how gears get "slammed" vs street car use. Any value to these? Switching to the T3650 will cost quite a bit more than the T45 did originally.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I know of one National Championship car that ran a stock T45. If I remember Kevin never used fifth. I did use fifth at COTA just for a second running 3:31's but I know Kevin did not.

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    I know of one National Championship car that ran a stock T45. If I remember Kevin never used fifth. I did use fifth at COTA just for a second running 3:31's but I know Kevin did not.

JJ
    I never use 5th either. My T-45's are upgraded for heavy shifting but the gears, etc are all stock. We hit 133mph at one track and 138mph at another....approaching the limit of my 4th gear. One track we now run hits 120mph tops so some extra gear would be nice.....Nationals at Daytona (Is anyone going?) could be 150mph but none of us know what speed to prepare for yet.

Also, what was top speed at COTA?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by t500hps View Post
    I never use 5th either. My T-45's are upgraded for heavy shifting but the gears, etc are all stock. We hit 133mph at one track and 138mph at another....approaching the limit of my 4th gear. One track we now run hits 120mph tops so some extra gear would be nice.....Nationals at Daytona (Is anyone going?) could be 150mph but none of us know what speed to prepare for yet.

Also, what was top speed at COTA?
    No idea of top speed at COTA. I'm guessing around 130 but no idea really. I have ran 3:75's 3:55's and now 3:31's. Guys with 4:10 pull me out of a turn in a drag race but then they have to shift and I pull back even. It does not sound correct but at least two of the fastest Texas CMC guys were running 3:28's to limit shifting. Michael is also very fast an he runs 3:55's. I'm sure there is a "best gear" for every track. Not many CMC guys I know are going to change between events.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    . Not many CMC guys I know are going to change between events.
    JJ
    Here taking notes on who is lazy!
    Ah, fugg it.

Jander didn't use 5th at Cota. The car has a 3.23 final drive ratio, so it's geared a bit higher than normal.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    5th gear is overrated. Dont need it. If you want to prolong your gearbox life stick with 3:27’s. Wont have to constantly row the gears and it’ll allow you to be a Lot Smoother on track.
    “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
    ― Paul Newman

Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    5th gear is overrated. Dont need it. If you want to prolong your gearbox life stick with 3:27’s. Wont have to constantly row the gears and it’ll allow you to be a Lot Smoother on track.
    That's what I've run...... with success. A number of guys are going to 3.90/4.10 and between the lack of 4.6 torque, and the gear I'm getting pulled out of the corners. The lack of shifting has allowed me to stay competitive. Now we may end up on a track hitting 150mph and the 4.6/T45 combo isn't going to get there!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by t500hps View Post
    That's what I've run...... with success. A number of guys are going to 3.90/4.10 and between the lack of 4.6 torque, and the gear I'm getting pulled out of the corners. The lack of shifting has allowed me to stay competitive. Now we may end up on a track hitting 150mph and the 4.6/T45 combo isn't going to get there!
    Just pop a 3.08 in and send it. Standing starts might be a little rough.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    I don’t think you’ll see any of the CMC cars hit 150 at Daytona. It’s not nec a gearing problem but an aero problem. Which ever car is the most streamline in the air is going to reach optimal TopSpeed regardless of gear assuming you’re not hitting the rev limit ha ha. Usually in Daytona they make you go through a small cut off halfway down the straight away to limit the top speed of the cars in the race but I don’t know how NASA will run it.
    “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
    ― Paul Newman