Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Artic blast Don't forget about your race car engine

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    All set with the antifreeze

I was able to get mine to hot enough to get the t stat open

I'll be able to see if the light bulb and radiator prob heater turns on, but my unit definitely will get below freezing

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eatDAw3kozdhJJ3m8

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    I got scared.. added two electric heaters and a propane heater on low. Using my laser thermometer I was seeing some engine temps in the low 30's. It is 5degrees outside this morning.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    All these preparations that are relying on heaters or lightbulbs are having a tough time around here. Most people I've talked to haven't had power since 2 am. I get power for a little bit then it goes away for a longer time...

Richard P.

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    My shop has zero insulation and isn’t really sealed all that well. I put water bottles with tap water all around the shop to see if they’d freeze. Non of them froze and it got down to 4F here. I thought it kinda strange. I don’t understand how that’s possible.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
    My shop has zero insulation and isn’t really sealed all that well. I put water bottles with tap water all around the shop to see if they’d freeze. Non of them froze and it got down to 4F here. I thought it kinda strange. I don’t understand how that’s possible.
    I know this is not exactly the same, but ...
    I live in Ohio and my shop building is insulated and sheetrocked but no heating system.
    It's a 30X60 building, partially built into a hill so the back wall has about 7' of dirt behind it.
    Coldest I've seen in the shop is 36 degrees so far. The floor and back wall put a surprising
    amount of "heat" in the building. At least, enough to offset the heat loss. I will admit that
    our winter has been both mild and stupid. We've only had a few days below 20 degrees and
    we've had lots of days in the upper 20's and a even a few in the mid 30's. It may help that
    the two overhead doors face South so on sunny days I actually get a little heat through
    the doors; even though they are insulated I think they are only like R6 or something.
    --
    ------__o
    -----_\ <,_
    ----(_)/ (_)
    Laissez les bons temps rouler

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    My storage unit never lost power! However the temp never go lower than high 20s which was well above the freezing point based on the antifreeze ratio I put in.

Learned a lot this time and got lucky!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fX81ceKFkHZUe6Mx5

Looks like some freeze comin y’all’s way. Don’t forget about the engines. Hope all is well.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Thanks Dylan, thankfully not too bad. Lots of ice and a little bit of snow here in the DFW area.

I hope you are staying safe as well!! When are you getting back to the states?
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Thanks Michael. Should be coming home July. I am still slowly working the LS 5.3 swap when I get back. Don’t know when I’ll be back on the track. I’m shooting for Sep/Oct. Impatiently lurking this forum and watching you guys on race hero…….and of course daydreaming of the moment I can back out there with the group.
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
    Thanks Michael. Should be coming home July. I am still slowly working the LS 5.3 swap when I get back. Don’t know when I’ll be back on the track. I’m shooting for Sep/Oct. Impatiently lurking this forum and watching you guys on race hero…….and of course daydreaming of the moment I can back out there with the group.
    Praying for your safe return Dylan.

Jerry