Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Artic blast Don't forget about your race car engine

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Artic blast Don't forget about your race car engine

My race car sits in a unheated pole barn. We in Central Texas are supposed to see 9 degrees on Tue. morning and the DFW area could see 2 degrees! Well over 24 hours under 27 degrees for us here and looks like the DFW area (or at least Prosper where Jay lives) could be below freezing from Thursday night until the following Wed.

Damn I really should read what I write before posting. Arctic!

JJ
    Last edited by ShadowBolt; 02-10-2021 at 10:21 AM.

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Thanks for the heads up Jerry. Sounds like you will be shuffling some cars around.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    My car is stuck in storage but I have power there. Am I better off draining the water out of the radiator, or leaving it full of water on a block heater I have in the radiator?

I have a heater probe that goes into the radiator and an electric freeze outlet that turns the heater on at 38* so I can confirm it works well before the temps go below 0; forecast is down to 18* here.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Shove a space heater underneath and let it run until the "cold" is gone.
    RM CMC Director

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    Shove a space heater underneath and let it run until the "cold" is gone.
    What space heater will fit under a race car?

JJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    My car is stuck in storage but I have power there. Am I better off draining the water out of the radiator, or leaving it full of water on a block heater I have in the radiator?

I have a heater probe that goes into the radiator and an electric freeze outlet that turns the heater on at 38* so I can confirm it works well before the temps go below 0; forecast is down to 18* here.
    I don't give a damn about the radiator as it is easy to drain. Getting all the water out of the block is another issue all together.

JJ

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    My engine cracked because of freeze damage while I was oveseas. I wont let that happen twice! I will probably put one 100w light bulb on each side of the engine block. That should do the trick. Thanks for the reminder.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    There are little space heaters that should fit between the radiator and engine that are less than a foot tall. Heaters are great until the ice buildup on trees starts taking down power lines and you lose power for a few days. Friend did the light bulb on his boat on a lift- but power went out and crack went the block.

Pranav your LS has some drain plugs on each side of the block.

Might see a 0 for a low and spend 24 hours below 15 in Plano-don't know that its ever been that low.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Blog Entries
    I am adding at least half a gallon of antifreeze to the race car this afternoon. We lose power out where I live often so I'm expecting it. I went on Tue. and topped off the propane and fuel in the RV. At least I can live in it if I have to if the power goes out.

JJ

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    Yes, light bulbs and 1/2 gal of antifreeze concentrate as a backup incase the power goes out like Bryan said.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee