Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cresson 2021

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    I hope the repair is on the “easier” side. We definitely missed having you out there racing with us Frederic!!
    Last edited by michaelmosty; 03-09-2021 at 05:09 PM.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I assume the issues will be in the heads/head gaskets but just hoping they are repairable. As long as they are not cracked and the cam surfaces are okay. There are no cam bearings but they can be machined to accept cam bearings. There are no more new heads to be had. Ford sold all they had to DSS and other engine builders. I bought the last brand new set from DSS a few years ago. There are lots of good used heads around though.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    I assume the issues will be in the heads/head gaskets but just hoping they are repairable. As long as they are not cracked and the cam surfaces are okay. There are no cam bearings but they can be machined to accept cam bearings. There are no more new heads to be had. Ford sold all they had to DSS and other engine builders. I bought the last brand new set from DSS a few years ago. There are lots of good used heads around though.

JJ
    And watch out because the cams are all different! All these years I thought a 4.6 was a 4.6, but the Mustang in particular got its own cams so be sure to run those or you'll be chasing your tail come dyno time.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    From the eyes of a 1st time Rookie

Was great to be there with you guys and out on the track for my first competition appearance. Thanks for taking it easy on me. Was nervous with butterflies sitting in grid for the first time but those quickly went away at the drop of my first green flag. I wont write a long blog here, but just post my dashcam from R3. I missed R4 unfortunately due to family business but R3 was the most interesting and fun race of the weekend for me.

I have a lot to learn but am feeling a lot more confident that I can maintain situational awareness of my surroundings, and the flag stations and occasionally keep my racing lines. My car held together, performed better than I could drive it, and even went from last to finishing 5th in R3. Altogether could not be happier. Was a blast and this event set the hook. The addiction just became unshakable for me now.

Thanks for all the advice, mentorship, and encouragement.

Complete video from R3 (Unedited sorry for the boring parts) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Qb3Bk2Olk
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
    Was great to be there with you guys and out on the track for my first competition appearance.

Complete video from R3 (Unedited sorry for the boring parts) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Qb3Bk2Olk
    Awesome. I figure you don't know, and here is fine too, but we have a separate thread for videos as well.

What was with Flyin' Bryan banging up on a third gen? Cmon now... you'll knock Gerno's setup off.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
    From the eyes of a 1st time Rookie

Was great to be there with you guys and out on the track for my first competition appearance. Thanks for taking it easy on me. Was nervous with butterflies sitting in grid for the first time but those quickly went away at the drop of my first green flag. I wont write a long blog here, but just post my dashcam from R3. I missed R4 unfortunately due to family business but R3 was the most interesting and fun race of the weekend for me.

I have a lot to learn but am feeling a lot more confident that I can maintain situational awareness of my surroundings, and the flag stations and occasionally keep my racing lines. My car held together, performed better than I could drive it, and even went from last to finishing 5th in R3. Altogether could not be happier. Was a blast and this event set the hook. The addiction just became unshakable for me now.

Thanks for all the advice, mentorship, and encouragement.

Insightful summary. Someday soon for me to...

Well, it's not gonna be an easy repair. The valves got hot, siezed in their guides, and then the cam lobes ejected the rockers. And one of the cam rollers had a bad bearing, and it ate the cam lobe. So I'm looking at valves, a camshaft, a rocker, and a couple of head rebuilds.
    IMG_20210311_183225__01.jpg

The bottom end is more or less OK. There was no valve to piston contact. There's some cylinder wall damage, but it's in the "Disposable race motor, send it" category.

IMG_20210311_202800__01.jpg

I was going to slap on some spare heads that I have, but it turns out that they were run with low oil pressure, and the cam bearings are chowdered.

2021-03-17_21h51_11.jpg

This motor is going to become the B motor. I'll take my time rebuilding it, assuming that the block's not toast.

I've ordered a junkyard 4.6 from a 99, with 57k miles on it. I don't know if it'll arrive in time, so I may be doing Miata things at ECR. But here's hoping that I can get the Stang back together. I don't mind missing ECR, so long as I can make it to Hallett. Gotta get that BBQ!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Cam "bearings". I had a 4.6 that ate the "journals" too. I abandoned it for a 289. Present day me would have sent that garbage, but it was WAY better than what you have.
    RM CMC Director

Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    Cam "bearings"
    Everything eventually becomes a bearing if you don't have oil pressure.