Thread: Mustang rear brake pads

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar

Mustang rear brake pads

What is everyone running on their CMC Mustang?

I have run PFC97’s for over 10-years and just found out they have discontinued that compound. I will be needing to get a new set after ECR.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post

I have run PFC97’s for over 10-years and just found out they have discontinued that compound. I will be needing to get a new set after ECR.
    That sucks... Feel like I junx'd you since we were discussing rear pad compounds on my car at Cresson

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post

Check out Cobalt Friction. Great customer service and they have a chart that shows what compounds are similar to your 97's in several different brands including Cobalt Friction.

I legitimately run parts store pads on the rear. I think duralast gold semi metallic.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Cobalts are the best pads I’ve run, they were pricey but worth it IMO, pfcs are expensive as hell too so....
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    Cobalt is the best pads I’ve run, they were pricey but worth it IMO, pfcs are expensive as hell too so....
    I agree Tyler. Customer service is great and the pads were the best I ever ran. Most pads they build to order so you can't wait until the last minute to order. Right now I'm trying to save some money by running the Porterfield R4. Dan and John run them. They take a lot more pressure than the Cobalt or PFC pads and it is way harder to lock up a wheel with the R4's. I tried them a few years ago but kept looping it under braking due to the pad in the rear being too much (and the 55 not having a brake bias valve). I have dropped down to a less aggressive pad in the rear and in the last two events the car has been well balanced. The Porterfield R4 is only $200.00 for the ST-40 calipers. The Cobalt R1 pads for the ST-40 calipers are $347.00 and the PFC 11's are $400.00! I feel the Cobalt R1 up front and the R3 in the rear are the best pad combo we have ever ran but I'm cheap as hell. Every person that I have told about Cobalt that tried them loved them. Jander and Tyler both ran them and thought they were great. Those guys are sorta fast.

JJ

I had a few dead sets of R4s in a row, and had to stop using them. I couldn't figure out what was going on, and neither could Porterfield. I switched to Hawk DTC70s in the front, mostly because I can order them overnight and they're here the next day from summit. Have not had an issue since.

You guys have me thinking about my rears now. I usually run a lot of rear brake bias with the crappy pads, might try a higher friction pad and run less rear brake on the adjuster.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    I legitimately run parts store pads on the rear. I think duralast gold semi metallic.

- Josh
    I'm lucky to get 2 weekends from them with the bias all the way out.
    RM CMC Director