Thread: 4.6 exhaust.....anyone have number comparisons for longtubes vs short tube headers???

Hybrid View

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by t500hps View Post
    On my 4.6 I have the stock T45 and longtubes. With the car on a lift we have been able to get the tranny in/out several times WITHOUT removing the engine/k-member.......but it is a BIT(H!!!!! Even the starter takes an hour just to find the top 2 bolts! I'm making a change and considering shorties if I can still make the numbers.

If I recall.....doesn't the 3650 have the bellhousing attached just like the T45. (actually it does because several buddies run them)
    You are correct on the 3650. I run a 3550.

So it is possible to change the clutch with long tubes and a T-45 but my point was you were not going to be able to do it at the track.

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    You are correct on the 3650. I run a 3550.

So it is possible to change the clutch with long tubes and a T-45 but my point was you were not going to be able to do it at the track.

JJ
    Agreed. I have a spare tranny and don't even bother bringing it with me.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    As a T56 owner I see no need to bring spare transmissions either.
    RM CMC Director

I'm curious, what's the point of running long tube headers? Do they help to flatten/broaden the power curve?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fscott View Post
    I'm curious, what's the point of running long tube headers? Do they help to flatten/broaden the power curve?
    They were on my car when I bought it.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by fscott View Post
    I've heard long tubes are needed to "make the power numbers". I have no idea since A) That information came from Ford 5.0 owners and B) I bought my car with them and have no experience with anything else.

Is anyone running a 2V and "making the numbers" with shorties???? (If so, what's changed from stock to get there?)

I think Frederic has the 2V engine with shorties that makes the numbers and won a national championship.

- Josh
    CMC #50

To be clear, the car won the national championship. I didn't.

The 2v 4.6 made 260hp, and ran manifolds. Aluminum block Romeo with PI heads and intake manifold. It was down to 250 when I got it, due to a bad roller rocker that flattened a cam lobe.