Thread: Stoptech Rotor Question

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    On Friday I went out in the first session of practice and put a transfer layer on the new rings. Only two laps using the Stoptech written method for bedding in new pads or rings. I used the last half of the second lap to let everything cool down without touching the brakes. I did the same driving to my pit area. I turn off the engine and coast into the pit and let the clutch out (in gear) to stop the car so that the pads are not touching the rings. An hour and a half later in the second session the breaks worked great. Like Michael the brakes were not good the first time out on new rings. Stoptech says if you can to break in new pads with old rings and new rings with old pads. At $550.00 for two new rings I want to do it as per their instructions.

JJ
    Please tell me where you are getting 2 rings for $550????

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by t500hps View Post
    Please tell me where you are getting 2 rings for $550????
    I actually found mine for $216 / side with the race hardware, THMotorsports. Just search for 31536110187 for the other side.

https://thmotorsports.com/7585529-st...saAnZpEALw_wcB
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    I actually found mine for $216 / side with the race hardware, THMotorsports. Just search for 31536110187 for the other side.

https://thmotorsports.com/7585529-st...saAnZpEALw_wcB
    Thanks......ordered some last month for $55 a piece more

WAIT......What's the difference between the last 2 digits?

vs

The later, (.99) is what I've always searched for and they are $358 on that same website.
    Last edited by t500hps; 04-14-2021 at 08:56 PM.

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    The 99 is the standard hardware and the 87 is the race hardware.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    The 99 is the standard hardware and the 87 is the race hardware.
    i also noticed the .99 come up as a stoptech part number while the .87 come up as a Centric part number......wonder if there is a material difference??? (how long do these rotors typically last for you guys?)

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I usually go four years on a set of rings. That is five to six events per year. The rings have never failed (cracked other than just small surface cracks) but I worry about them around four years 20-24 race weekends.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    I've been running Corvette calipers and parts store rotors since 2013. I don't expect any increase in performance aside from consistency and not worrying about rotors cracking. I go through 2 sets a season on the parts store rotors.
    RM CMC Director

Quote Originally Posted by t500hps View Post
    i also noticed the .99 come up as a stoptech part number while the .87 come up as a Centric part number......wonder if there is a material difference??? (how long do these rotors typically last for you guys?)
    I asked Stoptech that a while back. The only difference is that the non-race hardware doesn't include the wave washers to reduce brake rotor rattle.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fscott View Post
    I asked Stoptech that a while back. The only difference is that the non-race hardware doesn't include the wave washers to reduce brake rotor rattle.
    Correct. I have to wonder if those wave washers adversely affect the flotation of the ring vs hat?
    RM CMC Director