Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible CMC Car at TDE at MSR-H May 2021

Possible CMC Car at TDE at MSR-H May 2021

Apologies for "radio silence" for awhile. A big part of getting the CMC car was getting a house and been busy with that. I have not done much of anything with Al's old Camaro.

I am considering trying to get the car on the track local (Houston) prior to Hallett. My favorite HPDE "The Driver's Edge" will be at MSR-H on 15-16 May 2021. Biggest issues are time and a trailer. Three weeks from now but I will be out of town from 30 April thru 10 May 2021. TDE has been informed of my possible intention.

One reason for this post is getting a line on a trailer. Looking online, do not see much. Just got off the phone with Al (who I bought the car from) who gave me contact info for Gary Robertson who I just sent a text to. And reached out to a couple of other sources as well. Ultimately my preference is a used trailer already setup for CMC: steel (as opposed to aluminum to save money), low profile, tire rack, toolbox, and winch. Ideas?

Also I would like to see if any of y'all will be at TDE at MSR-H for this event to provide a little guidance to me as well. Timing may or may not work. Regardless I plan to attend Hallett.

Thoughts?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by babablackgoat View Post
    Apologies for "radio silence" for awhile. A big part of getting the CMC car was getting a house and been busy with that. I have not done much of anything with Al's old Camaro.

I am considering trying to get the car on the track local (Houston) prior to Hallett. My favorite HPDE "The Driver's Edge" will be at MSR-H on 15-16 May 2021. Biggest issues are time and a trailer. Three weeks from now but I will be out of town from 30 April thru 10 May 2021. TDE has been informed of my possible intention.

One reason for this post is getting a line on a trailer. Looking online, do not see much. Just got off the phone with Al (who I bought the car from) who gave me contact info for Gary Robertson who I just sent a text to. And reached out to a couple of other sources as well. Ultimately my preference is a used trailer already setup for CMC: steel (as opposed to aluminum to save money), low profile, tire rack, toolbox, and winch. Ideas?

Also I would like to see if any of y'all will be at TDE at MSR-H for this event to provide a little guidance to me as well. Timing may or may not work. Regardless I plan to attend Hallett.

Thoughts?
    Josh and I (maybe Dan?) are planning on being there as instructors. You could request Josh Sooknanan as your instructor.

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by babablackgoat View Post
    I've used a 20' wood deck trailer since day one. Man... steel and lumber costs... i bought mine at Countryside in Spring.

Similar to this: https://www.txtrailercountry.com/202...QLj%7CZGb.html

We did build plywood ramps to make the load angle shallow enough to clear the radiator deflector.

What's your tow vehicle? Do you want tire rack/toolbox on the trailer or NEED them due to space?
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

My tow vehicle is a 2011 Dodge Durango R/T with 5.7L Hemi rated up to 7400 pound towing capacity. So I "want" a tire rack/toolbox...not really required. Hoping for steel wood deck instead of aluminum to save money but will consider aluminum if required for my towing capacity.

Can I call you to discuss this specific trailer, please? Will send PM with my cell.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    Josh and I (maybe Dan?) are planning on being there as instructors. You could request Josh Sooknanan as your instructor.

Richard P.
    Fantastic. Excellent news that CMC folks will be there. Just FYI now: I will require a little guidance if I can make it. Still looking for a trailer and have not heard back from Rick Schwalenberg yet. Following up with Rick now.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Hi,

I will be there for TDE running my black 93 Camaro CMC car. First time driving since aug 2019. Be sure to paddock next to me!

You are also welcome to check out my trailer. I was hoping to sell it next year to buy an aluminum enclosed trailer so timing is not good to sell but will gladly walk you through what to aim for on open trailers.

If you are dead set on keeping the Durango I would strongly urge you to start looking for used aluminum trailers.

Gary's steel trailer is a good example of a lightly built steel trailer that is relatively economical to reproduce without the aluminum premium.

My steel trailer is a good example of a fully decked out trailer that requires a minimum 10k capable 1/2 ton truck with wd hitch but let's me carry everything possible, freeing up bed space.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rz67xHM3FMLcWAgf6

Lots of pros and cons.

You might find it easier/safer to upsize the tow vehicle than making compromises on the trailer!
    Last edited by Pranav; 04-26-2021 at 12:09 PM.

I bought this because it was cheap, have been stoked with it so far. I have a custom tire rack on it now. Recommend load leveling springs and class D tires.

You will find that a new cheap-ish trailer is going to need a little tune up from time to time (bearings, wiring, etc).

https://maxxdtrailers.com/c3m-7k-steel-floor-car-hauler

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    I bought this because it was cheap, have been stoked with it so far. I have a custom tire rack on it now. Recommend load leveling springs and class D tires.

You will find that a new cheap-ish trailer is going to need a little tune up from time to time (bearings, wiring, etc).

- Josh
    These trailers are made local to me.... as are the large majority of other brands like Norstar, PJ Trailers, Load Trail, Lamar and many other smaller ones.

Maxxd makes some really nice ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    Nice clean setup. Sure you do not want to sell now? haha.

In part due to time (and money), prefer to keep the Durango.

Very much appreciate the invite to paddock next to you. Will get with Rick on attending and instructor with CMC background (Josh).

Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post

- Josh
    Thanks for input and specific suggestion, Josh. Trailer World Katy and Texas Trailer Country seem to carry Maxx-D.