Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Possible CMC Car at TDE at MSR-H May 2021

Attempting to look at trailers this week. Work from home allows me some freedom with my time, yet I am kinda supposed to be working too...haha. Starting with an appointment with Nationwide to see what is on the lot and a possible custom trailer.

The following are possible requirements/wishlist accumulated from multiple sources:
    1. Metal
    2. Wood deck
    3. 20 foot
    4. Axel brakes
    5. Load leveling
    6. Long ramps (might not be not required)
    7. Removable fenders (probably not required)
    8. Place for tie-downs (seems kinda obvious - I believe meaning extra places)
    9. Tilt jack for storage (probably not required)
    10. LED lights (probably not required)
    11. Drop axel (probably not required)
    12. Winch (probably not required)

What else should be considered when getting a trailer for a CMC car?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    4a. AT LEAST 3500lb axles
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    How often do you plan to go and how far-bringing the the consideration for renting a trailer or one from uhaul just to make this event. Also with the price of new trailers I would consider looking for a used aluminum trailer especially if your concerned about weight. But also it seems that used trailers really tend to hold their value especially when there isn't much available-at least with enclosed trailers there are hardly any new ones from what I hear.

I just sold my metal 18' dovetail trailer. It was built in 99 and was very stout at 2,500 lbs as I don't think they make them as strong now. I replaced the axles, new goodyears, wiring last year and it sold in 15 minutes on FB for $2,250 I think. An issue with it was the ramps pulled out but stayed in the trailer-you want to be able to put them on the top of the dovetail.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    How often do you plan to go and how far-bringing the the consideration for renting a trailer or one from uhaul just to make this event. Also with the price of new trailers I would consider looking for a used aluminum trailer especially if your concerned about weight. But also it seems that used trailers really tend to hold their value especially when there isn't much available-at least with enclosed trailers there are hardly any new ones from what I hear.
    Valid points I have been thinking of. Specifically would be nice to get a used aluminum trailer already setup for CMC. Cheaper and lighter. But none are jumping out at me. As you indicated, it seems I might need to rent for this one event. Detail in the next post on my trip to Nationwide Trailers.

Trip to Nationwide was productive using the above requirements/wishlist. Met with "Kyle". Does have exactly what I want on the lot, so spec'ed one out. See "NationwideTrailer_snip_01.JPG".

Cannot have ready for TDE at MSR-H on 15 May 2021, so will probably rent. But this one for me can be ready for Hallett. Nationwide wants a $500 deposit. Looks good to me. Thoughts? Any reason I should not pull the trigger?

And Mosty said I can go to HPDE 3, so I plan to be there.

NationwideTrailer_snip_01.jpg

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by babablackgoat View Post
    Trip to Nationwide was productive using the above requirements/wishlist. Met with "Kyle". Does have exactly what I want on the lot, so spec'ed one out. See "NationwideTrailer_snip_01.JPG".

Cannot have ready for TDE at MSR-H on 15 May 2021, so will probably rent. But this one for me can be ready for Hallett. Nationwide wants a $500 deposit. Looks good to me. Thoughts? Any reason I should not pull the trigger?

And Mosty said I can go to HPDE 3, so I plan to be there.

NationwideTrailer_snip_01.jpg
    Does that have brakes on one axle or both?
    RM CMC Director

Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    Does that have brakes on one axle or both?
    Only one. I thought that was common yet could easily be a misconception on my part. The rear axel has electric drum brakes. I believe he said the front axel is a coaster axel. Inquiring on upgrading to discs or something, he indicated that is not common since this would require hydraulics.

With the modifications required for a trailer, how feasible is it to add electric drums to the front axel?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by babablackgoat View Post
    Only one. I thought that was common yet could easily be a misconception on my part. The rear axel has electric drum brakes. I believe he said the front axel is a coaster axel. Inquiring on upgrading to discs or something, he indicated that is not common since this would require hydraulics.

With the modifications required for a trailer, how feasible is it to add electric drums to the front axel?
    Usually if it's not standard, it's a box you check and pay a little more for when you order. My old flat deck had them on both. I wouldn't just want 1 axle with brakes myself.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Changing the brakes involves changing the whole axle assembly

You'd want a brake axle assembly with full brake assemblies/hubs then tap into the wires for the existing brakes

Probably $500ish plus lots of work

Best to order with dual brake axles and for cmc car weight with the Durango dual brakes are a must

Response from Nationwide which correlates to above: "If we order you a trailer (12-14 weeks build time) I can get the front brake option added easily. Its a little more expensive and pain in the butt to add it after the fact."

The problem is timing. With the optional dual brakes, will not be ready for Hallett.