Thread: 1.6 Roller Rockers on 305 TPI

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar

1.6 Roller Rockers on 305 TPI

Any idea how much hp difference between 1.5 stamped and 1.6 roller rocker would be in the 305 TPI? I’m 5hp and about 10ftlbs short of the allowable limits. Saw in the rule book I can run them. No experience with them and google searches return garbage. I shift around 4500rom so valvetrain stays pretty happy most the time with little maintenance. Just curious how much it would make if anyone knows.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    All the numbers I've seen say you'd either be right on the money or over by like 2.
    RM CMC Director

An episode of engine masters proved that 1.5 stamped steel and 1.5 roller rockers had identical numbers, but 1.6 RR improved their test engine by 15hp / 6ftlbs. But their test engine was heavily modded and rev’d up to 7k. I think 1.6 might squeak another 5hp and maybe 5ftlbs. I don’t want to do any restrictors so we’ll see.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
    An episode of engine masters proved that 1.5 stamped steel and 1.5 roller rockers had identical numbers, but 1.6 RR improved their test engine by 15hp / 6ftlbs. But their test engine was heavily modded and rev’d up to 7k. I think 1.6 might squeak another 5hp and maybe 5ftlbs. I don’t want to do any restrictors so we’ll see.
    Something to consider:
    *Where* in the power curve do the 1.6 rockers make a difference?
    Where is the peak torque? Remember that HP is a calculated number based on torque and RPM.
    So a little more torque at 2000 RPM doesn't really make a big difference in HP; a little more torque at 6500 RPM will bump HP up more.
    Your TPI motor runs out of air at 4500-5000 RPM so torque falls off fast and you are forced to shift. However, the 1.6 rocker will let the motor
    breathe a little freer at low RPM (so for us math nerds, more area under the curve), likely giving you a little more pull coming out of a corner or
    slightly better acceleration for standing and rolling starts.

And if you have to go the restrictor route, talk to the guys who use the exhaust pipe restrictors. My experience dealing with the #39 car
    is with the throttle body restrictors we had oil collecting in the throttle body and intake due to the way the air flowed through the restrictor
    plate. I don't know if there was some sort of venturi effect or what but we always had oil around the restrictor plate. Sean (#15 Stormtrooper Car)
    and David (#39/#88 recently) went to exhaust restrictors and I think the engine behaved more gracefully at mid-high RPM. But as you say,
    no restrictor is preferred.
    --
    ------__o
    -----_\ <,_
    ----(_)/ (_)
    Laissez les bons temps rouler

That sounds like good insight. I did feel like everyone was walking away from me coming out of the corners at Cresson but I figured It’s just my driving and lack of car setup. FYSA I don’t have a speedo or a tachometer in the car. Purely shifting on feel and sound.

Just found out a friend of mine at work has some scorpion 1.6 RR on an engine he is swapping out of his street rod. I’m gonna borrow them and take it to the dyno next week. I’ll report back with the numbers.
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
    That sounds like good insight. I did feel like everyone was walking away from me coming out of the corners at Cresson but I figured It’s just my driving and lack of car setup. FYSA I don’t have a speedo or a tachometer in the car. Purely shifting on feel and sound.
    I think Sean would agree with me that the issue with the 305 TPI motor is where the torque starts to ramp up
    and that the intake manifold/heads basically suffocate the motor at 4500 RPM. The LS motors start making torque
    at a lower RPM and then can rev another 1500 RPM over the TPI which completely changes your shift points
    particularly during cornering.

Speedo is not a huge deal. But the tach, hope that's on your list to add soon.
    --
    ------__o
    -----_\ <,_
    ----(_)/ (_)
    Laissez les bons temps rouler