Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aluma Trailer

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    There's 2 kinds of 4L60Es, those that have died and those that will.
    Is that is what is in an 07 Tahoe??
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Bought the trailer and brought it home safely last night. Had hiccups in the process yet happy with this one. Updated album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zh6yUfUjV8Rfxan56

Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    Roughly where in Sugarland?

Understand the tongue weight. You might need a few tries to get the car situated. You want "some" weight on the tongue so the trailer doesn't wag, but not so much it squats the truck too much. Did you get a hitch weight distribution setup? That will help tremendously.

Know your tie down points. I use factory tie down locations at front with CROSSED straps, and run axle straps on the rear axle housing, with straight straps to the trailer. I've always been more conscious somebody would cut me off and don't want the race car in the back seat.

You'll have to load it and drive it at highway speed to see. Don't be surprised if it takes you a couple tries to get it in a good-enuf place.

Also, my experience is as long as you tow under about 70mph the trailer tires seem to stay pretty happy.

Hope that helps.
    Fortunately in a slightly involved process, gathered info form several sources. Explained to me that tongue weights should be 10% of total load. If trailer is 1500 and car is 3400 plus gear is around 5000 plus pounds so tongue weight should be 500 plus or so pounds. In a perfect world squat would be square, all of which correlates with your comments.

Due to toolbox, could not get weight distribution.

For tiedown points, 4 are embedded into the steel and too far apart yet more can be added. For now, planning on using the tiedowns on the side.

Thank you much for above guidance and suggestion on trying at highway speed first. From industry, I am overly safety conscious and concerned with trailering. Could use someone to doublecheck how I tie the car down.

I am right next to the old sugar mill just off of Alt 90.

Think about your tow vehicle too: do you need to tow in 3rd like Dave to keep from grenadine the transmission? Also, a locked converter = a cool, happy transmission.
    Fortunately since R/T has secondary transmission cooler. If overworking my transmission, I reckon I will feel it and will adjust.

There's 2 kinds of 4L60Es, those that have died and those that will.
    Had a built 4L60 in my GTO and still smoked it. Dropped a T-56 Magnum-F in it instead.

Bought trailer from here: https://www.stxsc.com/

Superb support with every little detail.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by babablackgoat View Post
    Fortunately since R/T has secondary transmission cooler. If overworking my transmission, I reckon I will feel it and will adjust.
    You can hear if it's locked or not. I was returning from Hallett a jillion years ago and found myself unlocked in 4th in some crosswind for like 15 minutes. When I finally looked down the trans (not a 4L60) was rocking out at like 230! I pulled it back to 3rd, let lock, and the temp dropped like a rock. Just gotta keep an ear open for it.
    RM CMC Director

You can hear if it's locked or not. I was returning from Hallett a jillion years ago and found myself unlocked in 4th in some crosswind for like 15 minutes. When I finally looked down the trans (not a 4L60) was rocking out at like 230! I pulled it back to 3rd, let lock, and the temp dropped like a rock. Just gotta keep an ear open for it.
    Ah. I will go thru the menus to find transmission temp. Should be in there somewhere.

I am familiar with the partial lock from the built 4L60 for the GTO. Occasionally would come unlocked in the middle of a corner. Not a big deal after is happened a couple of times. But at least I know about for towing so to keep an eye out.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    Is that is what is in an 07 Tahoe??
    Yeah. If you're good with a rebuild long term it's not a huge deal to worry about. Wife's Envoy had the same trans and I toe in OD when it lets me. If it hunts I pull back to 3rd. We got it at 63k so young enough to love it and make it last as long as possible. It had a filter change before I got it and I did a full flush within a week of purchase. We're creeping on the 50k mark since, so another full flush is on the horizon. Keep them clean and keep them cool is your best bet at a long life. Aside from extreme ignorance, you should expect at least 150k from it before really worrying about it. 2007 had most all of the updates they gave the thing.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Looking good!

You're going to be a bit short on time for hallett for these suggestions but see if you can get a weight distributing hitch with clamp on brackets. Highly recommend the blue ox brand.
    It will make a huge difference in stability, comfort, and sway.

I am not a fan of open hook straps, closing end straps like these are the way to go.

"Mac's Custom Tie-Downs 121007 Mac's Ratchet Straps | Summit Racing" https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtd-121007

My preference is to use axle straps on the rear axle tubes at a minimum, cross the closed hook straps hooked on those to the trailer, but you have to be careful with those as you can damage the brake lines.

"Mac's Custom Tie-Downs 121724 Mac's Axle Straps with Sleeve | Summit Racing" https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtd-121724

I permanently installed these hooks to my axle with longer UCA bolts:
    https://vorshlag-store.com/products/...-loop-kit-pair