tl;dr - Expect the 88/39 to be going much slower under double yellow in the future

Not an unavoidable accident, but a racing incident to be learned from. No one was hurt but there was nearly significant out of class contact and
two cars were needlessly damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by NASA CCR
19.3.6 Double Yellow Flags Categories:
Command; Global.
Description: Two (2) solid motionless yellow flags, displayed at every manned flag station around the course.
Uses: Passing is prohibited. This is used to indicate “a full course yellow.” this means that there might be a problem somewhere on the track. Drivers are not required to significantly slow their vehicles; however, they should be prepared to encounter a “local yellow flag” situation and/or a pace car (or a very slow-moving pack behind the pace car). The display of double yellow flags does not guarantee the appearance of a pace car. It is a command that passing is prohibited until the pace car has pulled off the course (if applicable) and the driver has passed the next manned flag station that is not displaying any yellow flag(s). Reference pace car[ref 19.4.1], [ref 20.11], and [ref 20.12.1]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F21ScRtK2kk
Pace Car at pit out at approximately 19:15
On board cresting hill between 1 and 2 behind the #32 CMC at 19:29 - roughly the location of the yellow AMCM car immediately before contact
On board cresting hill between 1 and 2, look at the tire marks under the #32 CMC at 21:04 - impact marks
On board between 1 and 2 #88 CMC track right at 21:05 - resting point of the #88 CMC

What I remember is seeing the AMCM into the trees at T2, as several AMCM cars had recently passed position racing CMC cars and we were fairly close into T2. I saw the yellow flag go up in T2 and fully expected ongoing yellow flag and an EV to be there next time by. Next time by, I believe waving yellow and, as expected, the EV was in the inside of T2 perparing to pull the AMCM car out.

For the balance of the lap I was managing the distance between myself and the #55 CMC which ahead of a yellow AMCM car. We were every bit of 7-8ths pace on that lap. As I crested the hill I saw the yellow AMCM car closer than I expected and without brake lights, so I believed it to be moving. It was, but closer to 30mph than the previous lap of 70-80mph. I quickly realized the closing speed was VERY high, I moved left to avoid the out of class car, recognized the "conga line" of cars into T2, knew there was no way I would not pass the yellow AMCM car under double yellow, when the incident occurred.

I had zero idea there was a Pace Car on track.

Going forward expect that under double yellow I will be driving much slower than many of you may choose, especially at tracks with more limited sight lines. I share at least 50% of the fault because there was nothing prohibiting me from slowing down to a speed that would have allowed me to make a better defensive decision upon cresting the hill between 1 and 2.

There are already enough things, that I knowingly and willingly accept, to injure me doing this that I can take this one off the list.