Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ECR, December 2021

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by babablackgoat View Post
    I am not going to make it. Cannot find the right part for the steering rack. Got one more I can try.
    What actual part do you need and for what setup? I'm just thinking there is the rack, joint between rack and column. If you need anything LS I'm coming to the arm pit this week.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    What actual part do you need and for what setup? I'm just thinking there is the rack, joint between rack and column. If you need anything LS I'm coming to the arm pit this week.
    It's literally just a rack swap... but the u-joint on the end of the column is smaller than the rack output shaft. We tried just swapping it in the car and ended up pulling the column to be able to test fit it. I think he's on a third rack trying to find one that fits... I may have a coupling at the shop too. But no reason we can't get it sorted for ECR... i would think.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Yes, planning to be there in the 88. May be on old tires and slow... but there.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    It's literally just a rack swap... but the u-joint on the end of the column is smaller than the rack output shaft. We tried just swapping it in the car and ended up pulling the column to be able to test fit it. I think he's on a third rack trying to find one that fits... I may have a coupling at the shop too. But no reason we can't get it sorted for ECR... i would think.
    I have an LS coupling if that helps.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hope you signed up yesterday or it's going to cost you an extra $50.00. $500.00 is enough I hate to see anyone have to pay extra.

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    Hope you signed up yesterday or it's going to cost you an extra $50.00. $500.00 is enough I hate to see anyone have to pay extra.

JJ
    And why do I feel like I'm being held hostage for a $10 toy on top of that...
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    And why do I feel like I'm being held hostage for a $10 toy on top of that...
    I missed that. I saw the entry fee and $279.00 for Friday and about had a heart attack.

JJ

Sorry did not check the forum in a few days. This sums up the steering column on my car:

"It's literally just a rack swap... but the u-joint on the end of the column is smaller than the rack output shaft. We tried just swapping it in the car and ended up pulling the column to be able to test fit it. I think he's on a third rack trying to find one that fits"

In looking for guidance and this thread presently might be best to have the initial column rebuilt instead of trying new ones. And hopefully ready for ECR on 03-05 Dec 2021. Getting this deep into it is a bit much for my mechanical abilities.

Member Rookie
    Personally I'd probably figure out what is the most common and easiest source rack and buy that one to replace what you have. This way if it goes out you have a chance to replace it much faster If needed build a new steering shaft using some aftermarket u joints. https://www.summitracing.com/search/...ering-u-joints

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Current CMC entry list:

Anthony Nguyen
    Michael Mosty
    Dave Francis
    Team Jordan
    Steve Gernon
    Ryan Mcfall
    John Martin
    Last edited by michaelmosty; 11-13-2021 at 11:24 AM.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region