Thread: 2022 Safety Requirement - Fire System

Hybrid View

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Can anyone tell me other than comfort the difference in a $200.00 helmet and a $900.00 helmet? They all have to pass the same test. Are any of the more expensive helmets rated higher in crash test? Are they safer? I know the old saying "do you have a $100.00 head or a $1000.00 head" the motorcycle shops used to put on us in my MX days but are you safer in a high dollar helmet?

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    Can anyone tell me other than comfort the difference in a $200.00 helmet and a $900.00 helmet? They all have to pass the same test. Are any of the more expensive helmets rated higher in crash test? Are they safer? I know the old saying "do you have a $100.00 head or a $1000.00 head" the motorcycle shops used to put on us in my MX days but are you safer in a high dollar helmet?
    All rated helmets pass the same test. The test is pass/fail at least as far as the public is told. Some helmets may or may not be safer but it probably doesn't track with the price. Really expensive helmets are lighter and that is generically safer but that's mostly been negated by head and neck devices.

Above that, you can get helmets with additional features like air intake, venting, audio input, drink tube input, etc. These features add cost. You could argue that keeping hydrated and cool is safer than crashing when your brain gets foggy. Having someone tell you over the radio about cautions/track issues can also be safer.

There are also fitment questions. People have not only different sized heads but different shaped heads. Proper fitment is important to safety.

Beyond that, nicer helmets are just more comfortable. As long as you never put something like a Stilo helmet on your head, you probably won't even notice that your cheap helmet sucks. I went a little cheaper on my helmet this time but added an air intake and a blower system in my car. Every time I put my helmet on I go "Wow, you cheap bastard" and then go drive and don't really notice it...

Richard P.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Richard,

I read a ton on the subject yesterday and from what I gathered helmet fit is way more important than how much you spend. Most I'm told wear a helmet that is way too loose. I know I am guilty of that.

JJ

Blog Entries
    I just went to Winding Road in Austin and tried on helmets. I will admit I was wanting to like the Zamp due to features for the dollar but I tried on several. The Zamp was the most comfortable when wearing a helmet that is sized correctly. It was also weighed less than any helmet that cost less than $600.00.

Jerry