Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Safety Requirement - Fire System

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar

2022 Safety Requirement - Fire System

Just wanted to post this for those that have not heard yet that a Fire System is mandatory for all race car classes within NASA for the 2022 season and beyond. I will look to find additional details to post but if anyone else has the official announcement, please feel free to reply here with the info.

The fire system will be needed to receive your annual inspection from NASA.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    The fire system will be needed to receive your annual inspection from NASA.
    Quote Originally Posted by NASA CCR
    15.2 Fire System
    It is highly recommended that a fire system be installed (required on some cars, as specified in class rules) inaddition to a securely mounted fire extinguisher. An on-board system uses lines routed through the car with asingle actuator to engage in case of emergency. An on-board system shall use Novec 1230, Halon 1301, 1211,or Halotron I, hexafluoropropane, HFC-236a, CC0610, FE-36, five (5) pound minimum, with a minimum of two (2)nozzles (one (1) in cockpit and one (1) in engine bay) with manual or auto release. Other agents in SFI certifiedsystems are acceptable. Systems may also use AFFF material (e.g. SPA Lite, ZERO 2000, Coldfire 302) 2.25liter minimum. Additionally, the Lifeline Zero 360 Novek, 2.25 liter (or larger) is permitted. If such systems areused, the appropriate atomizing nozzles shall be used. All AFFF internally pressurized system bottles shall usea working pressure gauge. All AFFF bottles shall be marked with the recommended “filled weight.” All systemcylinders should be securely mounted with bolts. On-board systems may also use CEA614 provided that thelines and nozzles are replaced as per the manufacturer’s (3M) instructions. If an electric solenoid or switch isused to activate the fire suppression system, it should not lose power when the electrical master switch or vehicleignition switch is turned off. As of 01/01/2022 an onboard fire system is required.
    NASA CCR Here: https://members.drivenasa.com/rules/ccr.pdf
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post

So based not he first sentence (specifically the word "inaddition") you need both a fire extinguisher and a fire system? Currently I only have a fire system in my car, no extinguisher and did not have issues with tech the last 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerno View Post
    So based not he first sentence (specifically the word "inaddition") you need both a fire extinguisher and a fire system? Currently I only have a fire system in my car, no extinguisher and did not have issues with tech the last 2 years.
    I'm in the same boat as you - always had a fire system only and not an additional extinguisher. Maybe the series director can check with National tech...
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    I haven't looked at the specific wording of the rules. An onboard fire system and a fire extinguisher effectively serve different purposes. An onboard system is something you pull when fire erupts to give you time to get out. You wouldn't realistically grab the extinguisher while you were sitting there and start spraying before you got out. Once you are out, you would like to have a way to spray whatever is specifically on fire. This is especially true if you pulling over caught the grass on fire or something. The onboard system isn't useful for this. One is to save you, one is to maybe save the car.

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Is there a system that is better than others for our type of racing? Something reasonable in price but works well?

Jerry

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    I haven't looked at the specific wording of the rules. An onboard fire system and a fire extinguisher effectively serve different purposes. An onboard system is something you pull when fire erupts to give you time to get out. You wouldn't realistically grab the extinguisher while you were sitting there and start spraying before you got out. Once you are out, you would like to have a way to spray whatever is specifically on fire. This is especially true if you pulling over caught the grass on fire or something. The onboard system isn't useful for this. One is to save you, one is to maybe save the car.

Richard P.

Just this last summer and young racer was killed in a fire in a mini-sprint car and tracks started demanding everyone carry a fire extinguishers in our cars and I heard one owner have this to say after many complaints from drivers.

"The fire extinguisher in the car is not for your protection in the car, it is there for you to help another racer in need." And for like you said.. to help put out a fire outside the cockpit. If there is a fire inside.. I am just getting out and not trying to pull the extinguisher and put the inside fire out.

This young kid died because there wasn't adequate fire extinguishers available fast enough. (long story with more to tell, because the track really made many errors as well, but could have been prevented.)

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    Is there a system that is better than others for our type of racing? Something reasonable in price but works well?
    https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/pr...t-novec-1230-/

I have this one that's refillable at the track; I carry a spare CO2 cartridge and foam solution: https://www.ioportracing.com/ess-fir...re-system-ess/

Same folks sell a bigger one of the same style.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/pr...t-novec-1230-/

I have this one that's refillable at the track; I carry a spare CO2 cartridge and foam solution: https://www.ioportracing.com/ess-fir...re-system-ess/

Same folks sell a bigger one of the same style.
    $800.00? Okay I found one for $400.00

Senior Member Grass-Passer rleng1's Avatar
    If NASA is requiring SFI or FIA systems, would re-filling the canister yourself at the track void that rating?
    Randy English
    NASA Texas --> Rocky Mtn Region
    CMC #77 Camaro