Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Safety Requirement - Fire System

Quote Originally Posted by rleng1 View Post
    If NASA is requiring SFI or FIA systems, would re-filling the canister yourself at the track void that rating?
    I have heard that you are correct......but NOT from a person in authority. I was interested in a self-filling foam system but heard it would not be compliant. I would certainly ask if something is compliant before buying it.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by rleng1 View Post
    If NASA is requiring SFI or FIA systems, would re-filling the canister yourself at the track void that rating?
    Rules for SCCA Club Racing require a SFI 17.1 certified fire system in all newly logbooked cars in classes requiring fire systems. Upgrade to a SFI 17.1 fire system for just $15.00. Additionally, SCCA will allow the club racer to use the ESS refill kits without requiring any recertification. This is a great advantage for the club racer over any other system since if they are fired, they must be sent back to the factory to be refilled and recertified.

Rules for Lucky Dog, LeMons and the like require a SFI 17.1 certified fire system in all cars. Both our 2.3-liter and 4.8-liter systems will satisfy their rules. To be SFI-certified the bottle must be recertified every two years and the seal must not be broken. If the system is deployed, you must send it back to the manufacturer (or his agent) for refill and recertification. I/O Port is the West Coast agent for ESS and does all certifications and recertifications right here in Lafayette, California.

I guess we will see?

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    I just received notice from Hank that NASA has decided to delay the Fire System requirement until the 2023 season to give them more time to finalize all the details. I'm sure we will get more specifics to answer our questions as the rule for 2023 gets 100% determined.

I already bought a system and will plan to install it and hope it is legal for 2023, haha.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    I just received notice from Hank that NASA has decided to delay the Fire System requirement until the 2023...
    Would you please send him a note to make sure HQ updates the CCR as soon as possible.

What system did you get?
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    I just received notice from Hank that NASA has decided to delay the Fire System requirement until the 2023 season to give them more time to finalize all the details. I'm sure we will get more specifics to answer our questions as the rule for 2023 gets 100% determined.

I already bought a system and will plan to install it and hope it is legal for 2023, haha.
    Thank you for looking into this.
    We appreciate y’all!

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    I got the Lifeline Zero 2000, 4 liter system. It was $400.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Have you installed it yet? Does it come with enough line to put the bottle just about anywhere?

I love that Competition Motorsports has "NASA LEGAL" on the listing...
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Member Rookie
    This is the system I have in my car, think I bought it from Pegasus. It has 1/2 the nozzles as the other one but I question if more than 4 are really need to cover the engine and driver given the size of the bottle. Either way, this system was easy to install and had enough line for my car. I need to re-certify the bottle before MSR so I'll let everyone know how that goes. Apparently G-Speed can do it and HD Motorsports in Austin is working to get certified to do it as well.

https://spatechnique.com/collections...ucts/fia18-l4s

Would also be nice to know whether SFI/FIA is REQUIRED since it doesn't say that in the CCR.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!