Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Safety Requirement - Fire System

Red Shift Racing has had fire systems in all three Camaros all along. Kinda helpful since they can be placed in a better location for ballast, than the actual ballast location.

Senior Member Grass-Passer rleng1's Avatar
    I also purchased the Lifeline 2000 system from CMS, and received the NASA discount (12%) for $355.
    Was going to order from GUD, but was out of stock. This was before grace period.
    Randy English
    NASA Texas --> Rocky Mtn Region
    CMC #77 Camaro

Member Rookie
    Recertified and refilled my SPA system this week. Overall an easy process but I was left annoyed. I decided to send to G- Speed because they were the closest and I like to support local. It was difficult to get clear information from them in advance because Chris has been sick for over a week, as with most people I know these days. I decided to just send it and get it done anyways, I should have asked the cost first. Nothing was wrong with my bottle, it was a simple test and refill. G-Speed charged me $240 for the service when a completely new filled bottle is only $250 and Pegasus charges $99 for the exact same services. I don't mind paying decent shop rates for work but feel I got a bit screwed with this deal... oh well... lesson learned with G-Speed. Good news is I at least have my bottle back without stressing for MSR and am good another 2 years... I just hope NASA doesn't setup rules next year that exclude the system I aleady have

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Does anyone have a suggested handlheld fire bottle and mounting system?

Also what year Helmets are required this year?
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    Does anyone have a suggested handlheld fire bottle and mounting system?

Also what year Helmets are required this year?
    Helmets need to be SA2015 or SA2020.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Anyone have a suggestion on a helmet let me know. Been a long time since I've looked and I have to have a newer one. Been looking more at MX helmets.

Going to try and find a handheld that's legal since I'll need it next year then have time to figure out updating the fire system or swapping the one from the white car. Does this work?

https://www.ioportracing.com/fire-ex...-with-bracket/

Or do I also need one of their other brackets to be legal?
    https://www.ioportracing.com/fire-ex...racket-in-red/
    https://www.ioportracing.com/fire-ex...legal-allstar/
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Member Rookie
    I just bought the HJC H70. Wore it in Houston and it was comfortable with good visibility. With visor down it's also extremely quiet, caught me off guard for a moment. I literally thought I had an issue with the car. I mainly bought due to the top air option, I was dying in some races last year even with a cool shirt. It wasn't needed in Houston so can't comment on its effectiveness yet so will see. Overall price seems a mid tier choice, still hurt to buy when my old Aria seems fine but not too bad.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Can anyone tell me other than comfort the difference in a $200.00 helmet and a $900.00 helmet? They all have to pass the same test. Are any of the more expensive helmets rated higher in crash test? Are they safer? I know the old saying "do you have a $100.00 head or a $1000.00 head" the motorcycle shops used to put on us in my MX days but are you safer in a high dollar helmet?

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by Gerno View Post
    I just bought the HJC H70. Wore it in Houston and it was comfortable with good visibility. With visor down it's also extremely quiet, caught me off guard for a moment. I literally thought I had an issue with the car. I mainly bought due to the top air option, I was dying in some races last year even with a cool shirt. It wasn't needed in Houston so can't comment on its effectiveness yet so will see. Overall price seems a mid tier choice, still hurt to buy when my old Aria seems fine but not too bad.
    The air flow helps in three ways, limits the fogging, gets somewhat cooler temps in the helmet depending on your source, and blows the carbon dioxide out. Dan loves it, Heather swears by it especially after she broke her clutch at Hallett and had to sit in the car for four laps.

Craig

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    Can anyone tell me other than comfort the difference in a $200.00 helmet and a $900.00 helmet? They all have to pass the same test. Are any of the more expensive helmets rated higher in crash test? Are they safer? I know the old saying "do you have a $100.00 head or a $1000.00 head" the motorcycle shops used to put on us in my MX days but are you safer in a high dollar helmet?
    All rated helmets pass the same test. The test is pass/fail at least as far as the public is told. Some helmets may or may not be safer but it probably doesn't track with the price. Really expensive helmets are lighter and that is generically safer but that's mostly been negated by head and neck devices.

Above that, you can get helmets with additional features like air intake, venting, audio input, drink tube input, etc. These features add cost. You could argue that keeping hydrated and cool is safer than crashing when your brain gets foggy. Having someone tell you over the radio about cautions/track issues can also be safer.

There are also fitment questions. People have not only different sized heads but different shaped heads. Proper fitment is important to safety.

Beyond that, nicer helmets are just more comfortable. As long as you never put something like a Stilo helmet on your head, you probably won't even notice that your cheap helmet sucks. I went a little cheaper on my helmet this time but added an air intake and a blower system in my car. Every time I put my helmet on I go "Wow, you cheap bastard" and then go drive and don't really notice it...

Richard P.