Right now, I plan on making the trek.
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Senior Member Grass-Passer cobra132's Avatar

hallet

I'll be there. Frank

I will be there, don't yet know about Capps

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    One way or another I always seem to be able to haul my lazy butt to Hallett. I don't see why I shouldn't be able to this year...
    -- Robert King
    AI #42

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Adam Ginsberg's Avatar
    Sorry folks, but I won't be at the Hallett shin-dig this year. Car, truck, trailer, gear, etc are still vacationing in SoCal, and will likely remain there until the first week of August.

Please be sure to post up pics, videos, etc of the event, as I'll need to live vicariously through them.

Have fun!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ginsberg
    Sorry folks, but I won't be at the Hallett shin-dig this year. Car, truck, trailer, gear, etc are still vacationing in SoCal, and will likely remain there until the first week of August.

Please be sure to post up pics, videos, etc of the event, as I'll need to live vicariously through them.

Have fun!
    you will be talked about.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby donovan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70

Have fun!
    a lot... :twisted:

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by donovan

Have fun!
    But the conversations will be short.

:lol: I crack me up sometimes ...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby donovan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchntx
    Quote Originally Posted by donovan

Have fun!
    But the conversations will be short.

:lol: I crack me up sometimes ...
    it is what it is....

8)

Senior Member Site AdminGrass-Passer cjlmlml's Avatar

ai

WHAT CAUSES SHORT-LEGGED CATS?

It is impossible to say for sure which of several possible mutatin the eary "Kangaroo cats" actually had. The term "foreleg micromelia" suggests a mild form of the usually crippling condition Radial Hypoplasia (Polydactyl Cats), but the description of their smooth ferret-like gait and the apparent absence of extra toes does not support this diagnosis. They probably had one of the many forms of dwarfism that occurs in mammals. In contrast, modern Munchkins have "foreleg and hindleg micromelia".

The most common (and easily recognisable) short-limbed condition is achondroplasia dwarfism which shortens the long bones of the limbs while leaving the trunk (body) and head unchanged.. Achondroplasia dwarfism is characterised by abnormal body proportions. Achondroplasia dwarfism is the result of a dominant gene affecting the hormones which control bone growth. Typically, the growth of the limbs is stunted, while the size of the trunk and mental capacity are normal. It causes abnormally short and deformed limbs; this is most noticeable in short-legged dog breeds where the limbs are bowed or twisted. It also typically produces a large head with undershot (bulldog) jaw and crowded, misaligned teeth. Other cranial problems may occur due to the abnormal head shape. The limbs are frequently bowed which may result in poorly articulating joints. The vertebrae may also be affected. Although most affected cats are mentally normal, their abnormal body proportions may result in slow development in early kittenhood. The large head may result in kittens being delivered by caesarian section as they are unable to pass through the birth canal. Stuck kittens are likely to die and would likely cause the mother to die.

In the Munchkin; these short limbs are the distinguishing feature of the breed and the other deformities associated with achondroplasia are avoided (as far as possible) by careful selective breeding, avoiding breeding those individuals which have spine or chest deformities. Achondroplasia is typically associated with a large or abnormal head, but Munchkins do not have this trait, suggesting a different condition that mimics achondroplasia, most likely pseudochondroplasia.

Achondroplasia also occurs at random in the feline population due to mutation. It is a variable condition ranging from "nearly normal" to crippling with all legs severely deformed. The forelegs are usually more severely affected than the hindlegs. In animals this form of dwarfism ranges from mildly disabling to crippling if only one copy of the gene is inherited. If two copies of the gene are inherited, the trait is lethal and the embryos are either reabsorbed early on in pregnancy (this is the case with cats) or stillborn.

There are almost certainly other dwarf conditions in cats, although they may not have not been identified as distinct from the Munchkin mutation. Acromesomelia (acromesomelic dysplasia) is characterized by short arms, legs, and fingers, and a slightly enlarged head. Hypochondroplasia looks like mild achondroplasia, but is genetically different. Its effects are less pronounced and there are fewer associated health problems. In species where dwarfism is poorly documented, it is often misdiagnosed as achondroplasia. Pseudoachondroplasia also mimics achondroplasia, but leaves the head size and facial features unaffected and is associated with osteoarthritis and other orthopaedic problems.
    AI # 12