Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Waco Racer
    ... or cars that haven't shown up on grid.
    Just popping in with the cake eater opinion. We should never hold grid for late arrivals. Anyone not in position at the 3 minute call needs to be held and released at the back of the pack. After cars are released we should hold late arrivals until the field has taken the checker and is past pit-out.

I know it's mean and it sucks when it happens to you, but cars should roll the second control says "release". That way all the good boys and girls get every second of time they can on track.

Grid has been a clusterfuck in the past at times, but has been getting much better. Now it is our responsibility as drivers to know our grid position and be in it early enough so the field can leave on time.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by "mitchntx/

That would be a lot easier to pull off because a qual session is green flag as soon as you enter the track. There is no yellow flag warm up lap. Of course, RC would have to ensure that the first group out didn't run into the tail end of the previous group on cool down.

So send AI/AIX, 15 seconds later send GT/ST and 15 seconds later send CMC/CMC2.

Bottom line ... I don't mind 4 races per weekend. I do mind short duration races, though.
    Actually, getting cars out of grid during qual takes so long that if we go out HOT under green, we usually catch the tail end of the grid just exiting the pits. I like the idea of gridding qual by class/speed but I also support going out under yellow for the first lap to give time to space the field. I don't know how many times I have been out in the first 3 or 4 cars only to run up on cars that just left the pits as I finish the first lap. This even happened at ECR. TWS not so much but Cresson, Hallett and to some extent Houston all have issues with catching the tail end of the group rolling out.

I think with a yellow for first lap, we could space the field better AND prevent offs that need recoveries because of someone trying to do a "flyer" on cold tires and brakes.

I am sure all this has to be dealt with on the fly by Race Control because of tow in's and late arrivals so it may have to be flexible till we figure out the best way to do it.
    Ah, fugg it.

Actually, getting cars out of grid during qual takes so long that if we go out HOT under green, we usually catch the tail end of the grid just exiting the pits. I like the idea of gridding qual by class/speed but I also support going out under yellow for the first lap to give time to space the field. I don't know how many times I have been out in the first 3 or 4 cars only to run up on cars that just left the pits as I finish the first lap. This even happened at ECR. TWS not so much but Cresson, Hallett and to some extent Houston all have issues with catching the tail end of the group rolling out.

I think with a yellow for first lap, we could space the field better AND prevent offs that need recoveries because of someone trying to do a "flyer" on cold tires and brakes.

I am sure all this has to be dealt with on the fly by Race Control because of tow in's and late arrivals so it may have to be flexible till we figure out the best way to do it.
    Why not hold the yellow until the last car pulls out of the pits. The cars in the front will be under yellow for about half a lap or so and the ones starting in the back will be green 1 or 2 turns out. The first corner worker you get to without a yellow means green. I think that would keep everything pretty spread out.

-Jay

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The April event will have a very strict schedule and you will only get 3 sprint races, so I don't want to hear any complaining because it is different.

Clifton,

Here I go doing what you ask us not to do (sorry).

Are you saying that weekend we will only get three 20 minute (12 minute) races because of the enduro or 2 20's and a 40? Since I could care less about the enduro if we are only going to get three 20's it may be a weekend to skip. I also assume the price to race will be the same as any other race weekend so we are subsidizing the enduro?

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by AI#97

I don't know how many times I have been out in the first 3 or 4 cars only to run up on cars that just left the pits as I finish the first lap. This even happened at ECR.
    Huh? I was at the back of the pack every race at ECR and I don't remember seeing you on my tail once. And I think I woulda remembered the honor :twisted:

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt
    The April event will have a very strict schedule and you will only get 3 sprint races, so I don't want to hear any complaining because it is different.

Clifton,

Here I go doing what you ask us not to do (sorry).

Are you saying that weekend we will only get three 20 minute (12 minute) races because of the enduro or 2 20's and a 40? Since I could care less about the enduro if we are only going to get three 20's it may be a weekend to skip. I also assume the price to race will be the same as any other race weekend so we are subsidizing the enduro?

JJ
    Actually, we could have 2-20's and 1-40, but, 1-20 and the 40 would be on the same day. Or, you would have 3 20's on Sunday. That's a lot of wear and tear on some cars that will be racing in the Enduro.

As for the pricing, the rate was the same in 2008 because no one lost track time. In 2009 you will lose 1 session and I don't know if there will be an adjusted rate for that event, I will ask. With the right number of entries, the Enduro takes care of its own costs.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by MCain
    ... or cars that haven't shown up on grid.
    Just popping in with the cake eater opinion. We should never hold grid for late arrivals. Anyone not in position at the 3 minute call needs to be held and released at the back of the pack. After cars are released we should hold late arrivals until the field has taken the checker and is past pit-out.

I know it's mean and it sucks when it happens to you, but cars should roll the second control says "release". That way all the good boys and girls get every second of time they can on track.

Grid has been a clusterfuck in the past at times, but has been getting much better. Now it is our responsibility as drivers to know our grid position and be in it early enough so the field can leave on time.
    I agree. The main problem has been having someone on grid to properly enforce the rule. The other problem is the split start scenario. If we hold a fast car like a GTA stock car until the CMC group is out then there is some added danger to the start. I'll add getting to grid on time to my meeting notes. Then, I'll only have to listen to the complaining about being off schedule.

IMHO once the field rolls everyone that is late should be kept at grid until the entire field has taken the green and passed turn 1. The late comer can then be allowed out on track to salvage what they can. If they went out while the group was still warming up they wouldnt be allowed to pass anyone anyway (full course yellow) so realistically they wont lose much more time.

If that results in more race time for the whole group, then its acceptable. Drivers will learn to not be late. If the problem is having someone at grid to enforce that, I know we can ensure our group has such a person...but fundamentally isnt it the responsibility of grid to keep cars from going out when they arent supposed to??
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez
    ... If they went out while the group was still warming up they wouldnt be allowed to pass anyone anyway (full course yellow) ...
    Wait....so if I lose a position on the warmup lap I can't "quick like a bunny" make it back up before the green flag and get back in line like in the elementary school cafeteria? :wink:

I like green flag first qual lap. Problem is, not everyone knows that is the rule. Hard to safely pass a car "warming up tires" zig-zaging all over the track.