Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Old School Iron

Junior Member Rookie

Old School Iron

Have lurked here for good bit and observed that no 1st generation Iron is used (with one exception.) Have reviewed AI rules and my questions are, are the old cars suspension(s) design so archaic as not to be considered for AI ? or are they getting hard to find? In AIX, could not the allowed suspension changes bring it into more modern realm? My thoughts were on using 67 Mustang donor. Do know I would not be competitive, but would be fun to feel the adrenaline rush.
    Thanks in advance for addressing questions. (Am old man with too much time.)
    TLS

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    TLS,
    The old "1st Gen" Mustangs are pretty weak structurally and require quite a bit of shoring up for road race duty. Griggs is one of the only outlets for a decent front/rear suspension setup, but it's ungodly expensive (15-20K just for suspension bits).

Your best bet it to do something newer, as spare parts/body panels are more available in the aftermarket.

Just my opinion. YMMV
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

I know Jay and his Camaro kicked my ass all over ECR so its definately possible to run a 1st gen car competitively but that car is on a whole other playing field $ wise.
    I'd love to see a whole spectrum of generations out there but I'm with Marshall on this.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Hood's Avatar
    I too was on the old school AI band wagon with a 1968 Cougar. I had figured a way to adapt SN95 parts with an LSA conversion and coil-overs for the front-end. All parts with few exception are available from circle track suppliers such as Lefthander Chassis and Coleman Racing. I also had figured out how to use a C4 Corvette rack, aluminum spindles and brakes (Z51 13.5" rotors) with custom control arms from the aforementioned sources. Alterations to the crossmember had to be done in either case to accommodate the rack.
    Alas, someone wanted the car more than I did (read that, three times what I paid for it) and it went away. All this stuff is applicable to the Mustang as well. I'd love to build ah old school AIX car one of these days. Just waiting for the $'s to land in my racing budget. If you look at last year's nationals AIX winner, it went to a mega-budget turbo-engined '66 Mustang. Apparently it had enough power to just win drag races between turns :wink: . Could have been good driving too...
    Gary Hood
    CMC #20
    OH WOW! Racing

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty
    Your best bet is to do something newer, as spare parts/body panels are more available in the aftermarket.
    I appreciate Marshall's honesty and generally agree - for most folks.

But since I don't know you let me say that, if you have a burning deisre to build a 1st gen Pony (hopefully a fastback), then have at it. I'm guessing it won't be as cheap as other routes, but the car will certainly stand out on track.

Regardless of what you end up in welcome, come out and hang with the group.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Whatever happened to the guy who wanted to run a Javelin in AI? I saw a Javelin at ECR but never had a chance to talk to him.
    -- Robert King
    AI #42

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gt40
    Whatever happened to the guy who wanted to run a Javelin in AI? I saw a Javelin at ECR but never had a chance to talk to him.
    Ken Caudle is the AMX driver and prospective AMX AI builder. Don't scare him away. It would be cool to see the old iron out there. Todd Covini needs to chime in here as he was planning a 67 Mustang fastback AI build at one time.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Junior Member Rookie
    Thanks for the prompt reply and forthright comments. I would give my right nut(don't think its working anyway) for a 67 FB. Unfortunately, its just a coupe that I started to redo and the futher I got into it, the worse the sheet metal,floor pans got. So I just pulled power train out and pushed it outside to rust. Now after drooling here for weeks and having rules up in the background to review, am leaning towards possibly doing the AIX thing.
    Someone said the unibody/suspension was weak and cost to make it turn would expensive compared to later years. (Sorry. can't go back and thank him while posting.) I did do a time trial once a rough dirt oval track and did notice how "loose" whole thing was.

However, if I do this, it will be on the LO Buck side. Hell, I'm so cheap, am now gathering components to make my own beer.

I failed to pickup in rules that turbos are allowed in AIX. Went back and reread that section. DUH, oldtimers kickin in.That puts another "spin" on it. I love'em.
    I think I can make some mods myself to stiffen and upgrade rear suspension as have some welding skills, etc. And few ideas of my own.

Another question that probably should be directed to a Rules type person. As I would have to replace the floor pans anyway, would it be beyond reason to install "sheet metal" of original thickness and location which would be shaped for center tunnel, etc?
    And floor pan would be supported on the perimeter by square tubing.

I could not compete you guys in AI class, as do not have the seat time in and "sort out" time in the vehicle. So, if decide to do this, have to go unlimited and just hope to be able to hang and not exchange too much paint.
    Any additional comments would be appreciated.
    I migrate between NE Tx and Central Tx. And seem to be centrally located to most of the tracks excepting OK. My "barn" is located about 50 miles NW of Tyler.
    Thanks
    TLS

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    floor pans MUST be stock and can only be "clearanced" for exhaust, driveline and suspension clearance. what you described would be illegal in AI and X...

Personally, the dollars and time invested in an old school build would be fruitless unless you go X and build a 500hp motor. I well setup CMC car with 260hp is going to pretty well destroy you unless you put big money into the suspension.

I'd love to build an old school challenger or GT350 clone. However, if you are going to drop 10-15k in building it, you might as well build a nice SN95 CMC/2 or AI car that would be pretty competitive and would have less issue with body panel repair costs going wheel to wheel.

if you have the time, money and will, build the old school car. if you want to race door to door, be competitive and spend less money and get racing faster, build or buy an SN95 or 4th gen camaro.
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Wirtz's Avatar
    I still have my '71 Firebird Formula I wanted to build into an AI car....

Based on all the feedback in this thread, I think we all need to go make your desired old irons and then duke it out 8)